Every bite of gooey Nutella brownies is full of chocolate goodness! There is Nutella inside the brownies and pockets of it swirled on top before baking. The swirls of Nutella and touch of flakey sea salt on top really makes these brownies gourmet. The ultimate brownie for any chocolate lover!
Every Nutella lover need to try these chocolate Nutella brownies. They are the most delicious dessert and one of my personal favourites. The brownies stay soft on the counter and taste straight up from a bakery!
Not only is the brownie batter made with Nutella, but more is dropped on top and swirled in before baking for pockets of Nutella goodness throughout!
Why this recipe works
Easy to make – This recipe only requires one bowl and all the ingredients can be found in your pantry.
Nutella flavour – Nutella is so delicious and brings a great flavour to these brownies. It is inside and swirled on top.
Fudgy texture- These brownies have an incredibly fudgy texture. No cakey brownies here!
Crinkly top– These delicious brownies have a crinkle top!
Full recipe and ingredients are in the recipe card below. Feel free to scroll through this section to view certain key ingredients we’re using!
Butter – I always use unsalted butter. This will be melted.
Brown sugar – I used dark brown sugar as it carries more molasses, but light brown sugar works as well.
Nutella – I did use the Nutella brand, but any chocolate hazelnut spread should work the same as long as it is the same consistency.
Unsweetened cocoa powder – I do recommend using a natural or dark unsweetened cocoa powder. This is the one I used.
Step by step instructions
Step 1 – Preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C and line and grease an 8×8 inch square pan.
Step 2 – Whisk wet ingredients. In a large bowl, whisk the melted butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until combined. Add in the eggs, vanilla, and salt, whisking again until combined.
Step 3 – Add Nutella. Scoop in the Nutella and mix with a spatula until no Nutella streaks are showing.
Step 4 – Add in dry ingredients. Toss in flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Fold until just combined.
Step 5 – Pour and swirl. Transfer the batter into the prepared pan and drop Nutella on top of the batter. Gently swirl it in. Don’t swirl it in to much, we want pockets of Nutella in our brownies!
Step 6 – Bake & cool. The brownies will bake for 30-35 minutes. The edge will be crisp, and the middle will be fudgy. It will continue to bake as it cools. Slice and enjoy!
My favourite way to eat Nutella brownies is warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Expert baking tips
Here are a few baking tips from my kitchen to yours!
- When you are baking brownies, you need to be careful when adding in the rest of the ingredients after the eggs and Nutella are beaten. Make sure to gently fold in the dry ingredients.
- Line the sides of the tray with parchment paper and spray down with non-stick spray. This is the best way to ensure your brownies don’t stick to the sides!
- It’s better to under bake, than over bake.
- My last tip is to not eat them all at once!!!
Can I omit the sugar?
Between the sugar and Nutella, I will admit this recipe does contains a lot of sugar. You must use the sugar. I added as little sugar as possible and used it just for texture purposes! If anything, omit the Nutella swirled on top.
My brownies sank in the middle!?
Did you remove them from the oven to quickly? Are they super fudgy in the middle? Most likely if you say yes, your brownies need to bake for longer, and once they are done baking the brownies need to sit with the oven door open for about 10 minutes before removing them onto your counter to chill.
Can I double the recipe?
For sure! Honestly that’s how I do it because 9 brownies is not enough! Make it in a 9×13 pan.
Why did you add Nutella on top?
The additional Nutella swirl on top of the brownies creates pockets of Nutella that tastes sooo good. This is optional, so you do what tastes best for you!
Storing & Freezing
Store these Nutella brownies in an airtight container at room temperature. They are good for up to 4 days, but I doubt they’ll last that long in your house!
Store these individually sliced and baked brownies in the freezer in an airtight container. They will last up to 30 days in the freezer. Thaw for 1 hour before enjoying. They are best slightly warm!
Check out these recipes
- 3 ingredient M&M Fudge
- 4 Ingredient Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 4 Ingredient Cookies & Cream Bars
- 5 ingredient Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line 2 sides of an 8×8 pan with parchment paper. Spray the other two sides with oil. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in the microwave or on the stovetop. Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Then in a large bowl, whisk brown sugar, white sugar, and butter.1/3 cup butter, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup white sugar
- Add the eggs and vanilla and continue whisking. Add in 1 cup of Nutella and fold in using a spatula.1 1/2 cups Nutella, 2 eggs, 1 tbsp vanilla
- Fold in flour and unsweetened cocoa powder.2/3 cups all-purpose flour, 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared pan and spread it evenly. Drop teaspoons of the remaining ½ cup of Nutella over the top of the batter. Use a knife to swirl the Nutella into the batter.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs. The edges will be crisp and the middle will be fudgy. Top with flakey sea salt.
- Let the brownies cool, slice into squares and enjoy!