5 Ingredient Brownies bake into fudgy, soft brownies and have that perfect crackly-top brownie everyone loves! Satisfy that craving in just a few minutes. No flour needed!
This recipe is so incredibly simple, it’s dangerous. All you need are chocolate chips, butter, eggs, sugar, and cocoa powder. This all gets mixed in one bowl, and baked into rich fudgy brownies in under 30 minutes!
My favourite part about this recipe is that it’s flourless. Whenever I’m out of flour but still craving brownies, I make these.
For more brownie recipes, try Espresso Brownies, Banana Brownies, and Fudgy Oreo Brownies.
Why this recipe works
5 ingredients – All you need are chocolate chips, butter, eggs, sugar, and cocoa powder. Pantry staples!
Quick & easy – In under 30 minutes you’ll have brownies.
Gluten-free – This recipe has no flour!
Fudgy brownies – These brownies have two types of chocolate in them, making them extra fudgy.
Scroll to view a few ingredients notes. Full recipe and measurements can be found in the recipe card below.
Butter – Unsalted butter works best. This will be melted.
Eggs – Remove 2 hours before baking.
Cocoa powder – Use good quality unsweetened cocoa powder. Since there are only 5 ingredients, this is important.
Semi-sweet chocolate chips – You may also use dark chocolate chips. Don’t use milk or it’ll be to sweet.
White sugar – Helps keep the brownies together and adds sweetness.
Step by step instructions
Here is how to make and bake these 5 ingredient brownies. You will need a bowl, a spatula, a whisk, and an 8×8 pan.
Step 1 – Prep. Grease the pan. For easy removal of the brownies, place parchment paper on the bottom and 2 sides of the pan. Grease again and then set side.
Step 2 – Whisk the butter and chocolate chips. In a medium sized bowl, whisk the hot melted butter and chocolate chips until combined and melted together.
Step 3 – Add in white sugar. Fold in the white sugar.
Step 4 – Add in cocoa powder. Toss in the cocoa powder and mix. It will be thick and dry. Trust the process.
Step 5 – Toss in eggs and mix. A brownie batter will form.
Step 6 – Spread and bake. Transfer the batter into the prepared pan and spread out evenly. Bake for 25-27 minutes. A toothpick inserted should come out with a few damp crumbs.
Step 7 – Slice and enjoy. Allow to cool for 20 minutes. As it cools, it continues to set. Slice and enjoy!
My favourite way to eat these brownies is warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Expert Baking Tips
- If the butter and chocolate mixture don’t melt, use the double boiler method to melt it.
- Use high-quality cocoa and chocolate chips for optimal results.
- Allow to cool completely if you want it to be sliced easier. As it cools, the brownies set. If you slice them while they’re warm they’ll fall apart (Personally my favourite way to eat them though).
- For a little rise, add 1/2 tsp baking powder.
- If you find it difficult to mix the cocoa powder, add it in with the eggs at the same time.
Can I use a 9×9 pan?
The brownies will be really thin. I recommend an 8×8.
Can I double the recipe?
Yes! Use a 9×13 pan and keep an eye on the baking time.
Substitutes for egg?
No substitutes that I have tried, sorry.
Can I use brown sugar?
Check out these recipes
- Carrot Cake Cheesecake Bars
- Strawberry Chocolate Chunk Brownies
- Mini Egg No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Bars
- Coffee Chocolate Chip Blondies
PS : Make sure to leave a STAR REVIEW if you enjoyed this recipe! Let’s stay connected on Instagram @sweettreatsyt. To get more recipes follow me on TikTok @sweettreatsyt!
Best-Ever 5 ingredient Brownies
- 1 1/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 3/4 cups white sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 eggs
- Prep an 8×8 pan. For easy removal of the brownies, place parchment paper on the bottom and 2 sides of the pan. Grease the sides and then set side. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, add hot melted butter and chocolate chips. Whisk until melted together.1/4 cup butter, 1 1/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Add in white sugar and continue whisking.3/4 cups white sugar
- Fold in the cocoa powder. The batter will be thick and dry. Trust the process!1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Whisk the eggs and then add them into the mixture. Fold using a spatula until a brownie batter forms.3 eggs
- Transfer into your prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out with a few damp crumbs. If the toothpick has wet batter on it, it still needs to bake. Allow to cool before slicing and enjoy!
Can you use margarine or plant based butter?
Hi Fran. I’ve never tried using those, so I can’t guarantee results. If you do still try it, please let me know if it works.