These Condensed Milk Brownies are the ultimate definition of fudgy and gooey. Unsweetened cocoa powder and melted dark chocolate are used to create the chocolatey brownie flavour. The sweetened condensed milk makes them extra rich and flavourful! It’s topped with a simple hot fudge sauce.
These sweetened condensed milk brownies are super chocolatey and gooey. They’re also really easy to make!
I’ve been on the hunt to create the ultimate classic fudgy brownie. Finally it’s here! The texture and richness that the condensed milk gives to brownies is truly unbeatable. It leaves the brownies soft and falling apart for days.
Why this recipe works
Chocolate – this recipe uses unsweetened cocoa powder, dark chopped chocolate, and dark chocolate chips in the brownie base. It’s topped off with a hot fudge sauce!
Easy to make – you don’t need a mixer for this recipe!
Sweetened condensed milk – these brownies are mega fudgy thanks to the sweetened condensed milk added. It makes them really gooey and thick!
Full recipe and ingredients are in the recipe card below. Feel free to scroll through this section to view certain key ingredients we’re using!
Butter – I always use unsalted butter. This will be melted.
Chocolate chips – This is added into the brownie batter. Once again, I used dark chocolate chips, but semi-sweet work too. You may also omit them completely.
Chocolate – A chocolate bar or chocolate chips works. I used a dark chocolate bar to balance the sweetness, but semi-sweet chocolate chips works as well. Don’t use milk.
Eggs – Eggs and an egg yolk are needed. Remove two hours prior to baking.
Sweetened condensed milk – One 300ml can will be used for the brownies, along with 1/3 cup for the fudge sauce.
Unsweetened cocoa powder – Helps create the chocolate-y texture. Make sure to use unsweetened to help balance the sweetness.
Step by Step Instructions
Here is a more detailed step-by-step than the recipe card. Scroll down for recipe photos, video and measurements.
Step 1 – Preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C and line and grease an 8×8 inch square pan.
Step 2 – Melt the butter over low heat. Add in the sweetened condensed milk and stir with a spatula. Add in the chopped chocolate and continue mixing until smooth. Set aside.
Step 3 – Whisk the eggs, egg yolk, vanilla, and sugars for 2 minutes vigorously. You may also use an electric mixer on high for this part. The mixture will be light and bubbles will form.
Step 4 – Add in the chocolate mixture that was set aside and using a spatula, gently fold it in.
Step 5 – Add in flour and unsweetened cocoa powder and continue folding with a spatula until no flour streaks appear. Add in chocolate chips.
Step 6 – Pour the brownie batter into a prepared 8×8 square pan and spread evenly. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out sticky.
Step 7 – Slightly open the oven door for 10 minutes to allow the hot air to slowly escape before completely removing from the oven. The brownies may jiggle and appear undone, but will continue to bake as they cool.
Step 8 – Melt all of the hot fudge sauce ingredients together in the microwave or using the double boiler method. Drizzle on top of cooled brownies. Allow to completely set.
Step 9 – Keep on the counter for 3 days or in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to a week. Enjoy!
Expert Baking Tips
Here are some baking tips from my kitchen to yours
- The brownies will look slightly underdone when removing from the oven..but don’t worry! It’ll continue to bake while it cools and that’s how we get the ultimate fudgy brownie!
- Use dark chocolate for this recipe to help balance the sweetness.
- Fold the ingredients after step 4 using a spatula, not a whisk! It’ll introduce more air into the batter and give you cakey brownies. For fudgy brownies, mix with a spatula until dry ingredients just disappear.
- Allow brownies to cool before cutting. It’s best to allow brownies to cool completely. After 10 minutes of sitting on the counter, they may be placed in the fridge to speed up this process!
My brownies are cakey! Why?
You probably overmixed them! Overmixing lets more air into the batter and gives you cakey brownies.
My hot fudge sauce won’t set!
There is to much liquid. Please stick to the sauce recipe written and avoid substitutions!
Can I use a glass pan?
I mean technically yes! But for all my brownie recipes I recommend using a light coloured pan. Dark or glass gives you a different texture and outcome!
How do I know my brownies are ready?
This recipe goes anywhere from 20-40 minutes. In one oven, it took me 22 minutes. In the new one I recently purchased, it took me 35. It really depends! You’ll know it’s ready when the edges (about 1 inch in) are set but the inside remains jiggly. When a toothpick is inserted, it should come out sticky, not dripping.
Other recipes to try
Condensed Milk Brownies
Hot Fudge Sauce
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
For the Brownies
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line an 8×8 pan with foil and lightly grease. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl over low heat, melt the butter. Add in the sweetened condensed milk and stir with a whisk. Add in the dark chopped chocolate and continue mixing until everything is smooth and melted. Remove from heat and set aside.3/4 cups butter, 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk, 3/4 cups dark chocolate
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, egg yolk, vanilla, and both sugars. Whisk vigorously for 2 minutes until light and airy. There should be bubbles forming. You may also use an electric mixer for this part to save elbow grease!1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup white sugar, 2 tbsp vanilla, 2 eggs, 1 egg yolk
- Add in the chocolate mixture from earlier and gently fold together using a spatula. Do not overmix!
- Add in the flour and unsweetened cocoa powder and continue mixing until no streaks appear.1/2 cup flour, 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Toss in the chocolate chips and mix for a few seconds.1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Pour into a prepared 8×8 square pan and spread out evenly. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out sticky. Turn off oven.
- Slightly open the oven door for 10 minutes and allow the hot air to come out. Then completely remove the brownies from the oven and cool on the counter.
For the Hot Fudge Sauce
- While the brownies are cooling, melt all of the ingredients together on low heat or in the microwave at 15 second intervals. Make sure to stir in between!2 tbsp butter, 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk, 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- Drizzle over cooled brownies. Allow to set and enjoy!