I’m convinced that Seven Layer Magic Cookie Bars are the easiest bars ever. They have a buttery graham cracker base and are topped with layers of butterscotch chips, chocolate chips, shredded coconut, and chopped nuts. It’s drizzled with sweetened condensed milk is drizzled, which acts like a glue while also giving the bars that incredible gooey texture.
These decadent bars are completely irresistible! The best part is that you can customize it however you’d like to make them your own magic bars!
The bars are layered with one ingredient on top of another. Sweetened condensed milk is then drizzled on top to put it all together! It’s that’s easy!
Why this recipe works
Texture – Each ingredient brings its own amazing texture and flavour.
Minimal clean up – There’s only one bowl required to make the graham cracker base. The rest is poured straight into the baking pan!
Easy – No room temperature ingredients, 10 min prep.
Sweetened condensed milk – holds the bars together and creates a gooey texture and irresistible sweetness.
Full recipe and ingredients are in the recipe card below. Feel free to scroll through this section to view certain key ingredients we’re using!
Butter – I used unsalted. This will be melted.
Butterscotch chips – A known classic in seven layer bars.
Chocolate chips – I used semi-sweet. Dark works too. I think milk would be too sweet.
Graham crackers – This will be processed into fine crumbs and used as the base.
Nuts – I used chopped pecans, but get creative and use anything!
Shredded coconut – Be sure to get unsweetened coconut so these bars aren’t over-the-top sweet.
Sweetened condensed milk – The secret glue that holds these bars together and adds sweetness. Make sure you use sweetened condensed milk and not evaporated milk.
One of my favourite parts about this recipe is how much you can customize it just for you! If you’re allergic or don’t like the ingredients I used, you may omit it completely or substitute it. Here are a few ideas:
Coconut – Oats give a similar texture! Rolled would be best.
Nuts – I used pecans, but chopped walnuts, macadamia, or almonds would be just as delicious.
Chocolate/butterscotch chips – Milk, white, or dark all work!
Graham crackers – Oreos can be used, make sure you use the whole Oreo.
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1 – Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper or foil. If foil, then also grease the bottom and sides. Set aside.
Step 2 – Make the base: Process graham crackers using a food processor until fine crumbs appear. Add in melted butter and mix until the crumbs are completely coated in the butter.
Step 3 – Press the base firmly into the bottom of the 8×8 pan.
Step 4 – Layer the bars: Begin to add each ingredient into the pan, one at a time. The order I went in was shredded coconut flakes, chopped pecans, chocolate chips, and butterscotch chips.
Step 5 – Drizzle the sweetened condensed milk: Evenly distribute the milk across the entire pan evenly, coating all of the layers.
Step 6 – Bake for 25-27 minutes or until it’s golden brown. Remove from the oven.
Allow the bars to cool completely before slicing. This is essential and if the bars are still warm, they won’t slice well!
Expert Baking Tips
Here are a few baking tips from my kitchen to yours
Make sure you use sweetened condensed milk and not evaporated milk!
Allow the bars to completely cool before slicing into them. As they cool, they will set. If you slice them too early it’ll be a gooey mess!
To speed up the cooling process, place into the refrigerator.
Use good quality chocolate chips. I always use Chipits semi-sweet. The cheap kind won’t hold as well in these bars.
What are each of the layers in a 7 layer bar?
The layers are butter, graham cracker crumbs, shredded coconut, chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, chopped pecans and sweetened condensed milk.
Can I replace the coconut?
Yes you can! If you’re not a fan of coconut you may omit it or substitute it. A great substitution idea would be using oats for a similar texture!
I’m allergic to nuts..what do I do!?
No worries! Just omit it altogether or substitute for another nut you aren’t allergic to. The great part about this recipe is you can really customize it to your liking!
Can I use a 9×13 pan?
Yes! Your bars will just come out slightly thinner. I don’t recommend doubling the recipe for a 9×13 pan, they will be too thick.
Check out these recipes
- Cinnamon Apple Oatmeal Cookies
- Chocolate Espresso Walnut Cookies
- Monster Cookies
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars
Seven Layer Magic Bars
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 6 tbsp butter melted
- 3/4 cups chocolate chips
- 3/4 cups butterscotch chips
- 1/2 cup pecans chopped
- 3/4 cups shredded coconut
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper or foil. If foil, then also grease the bottom and sides. Set aside.
- Process graham crackers using a food processor until fine crumbs. Add in melted butter and mix until the crumbs are completely coated in the butter.2 cups graham cracker crumbs, 6 tbsp butter
- Transfer into the prepared pan and press down firmly to create a base.
- Begin sprinkling each ingredient onto the base; chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, coconut, and pecans.3/4 cups chocolate chips, 3/4 cups butterscotch chips, 1/2 cup pecans, 3/4 cups shredded coconut
- Finish by pouring the entire can of sweetened condensed milk on top, covering the entire pan evenly.14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- Bake for 25-28 minutes or until slightly golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow it to cool completely before slicing. As it cools, the bars will set.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Enjoy!