A thick and rich chocolate stuffed cookie with a delicious soft peanut butter filling. Preferably devoured while still warm, allowing the peanut butter filling to melt in your mouth. This recipe is truly the perfect mixture of sweet and salty.
Purchasing the items in this post supports my blog at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Happy 2022! This is my first blog post for the year. I’m so excited for everything this year has in store for this blog! I’m starting the year off right – with sharing these incredible stuffed cookies. I didn’t think cookies could get any better until I tried stuffed cookies. Now whenever I’m making cookies I’m subconsciously thinking about what I could stuff them with haha! I’m hooked!
Let’s talk peanut butter and chocolate. I’m a sucker for it. The flavours are seriously a match made in heaven. Whether it’s in the form of Reese’s Peanut Butter cups, or a simple Nutella and peanut butter sandwich, I’m obsessed. In honour of my favourite combination, I created these Peanut Butter Stuffed Chocolate Cookies! The flavourful rich chocolate cookie is stuffed with a simple peanut butter filling. It’s a straightforward recipe with incredible results. Check it out! 🤤
How to Make These Cookies
There are two parts to this stuffed cookie recipe; making the filling, and then the actual cookie dough. But fear not, it is all very straight forward!
The filling of these cookies is a mixture of peanut butter and icing sugar (also known as powdered sugar). This is my favourite peanut butter to bake with. It’s got the simplest ingredients. Make sure you use this kind of sugar, and not granulated sugar! They are two completely different types! You mix this together, form into balls, and then set aside. For this recipe I used creamy peanut butter. Crunchy works as well, but don’t use natural.
The cookies themselves have the basic ingredients, nothing fancy. We’re all about simple recipes with everyday ingredients here! This is my holy grail unsweetened cocoa powder, and I recommend it to everyone. It’s affordable and high quality! I used a stand mixer, which I’d recommend you do as well (or a handheld one)! It just makes the entire baking process much easier. You can jump to the recipe to see the exact measurements. I also decided to top these cookies off with additional dark chocolate chips, but this is completely optional!
Why Chilling Dough is Necessary
No one wants to wait around when baking, but sometimes it’s necessary. Waiting a little longer can ensure better results! Chilling cookie dough before baking helps with the spread of the cookie. When placed in the fridge, the fats solidify. When the dough is first chilled and then used, the cookies take more time to spread while baking due to the cold fats. This results in a nice thick cookie, opposed to a flat messy one!
If you’re stuffing cookies with an ingredient like peanut butter, it’s even more important to chill the dough to prevent further spreading from the inside out! We want the inside to be a cheerful surprise to anyone who eats them!
Please be aware that with this stuffed cookie recipe comes a chill time. This is not the kind of recipe you’d want to make last minute (unlike my Candy Cane Double Chocolate Cookies or Brown Butter Cookie Bars). The chill time for this recipe is 30 minutes.
Peanut Butter Stuffed Chocolate Cookies
Peanut Butter Filling
- 1/2 cup peanut butter creamy
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cups butter softened
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 + 1/3 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder unsweetened
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips optional
- Start off by making the filling. Grab a bowl and combine the peanut butter and powdered sugar and mix together until well combined.
- Taking 1-2 tsp sizes, roll the filling into balls using your hands (your hands are the best tool in the kitchen;) The warmth from your hands will help form the balls easy!
- Set aside and start on the cookie dough.
- In a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugars. Ideal creaming time is 3-5 minutes on medium speed, scraping the bowl every now and then with a spatula.
- Add in egg and vanilla and continue mixing.
- Take the flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda, and add into the mixing bowl. Mix on a low speed until a thick dough forms.
- Scoop out about 1 tbsp of dough onto your prepared baking sheet. Press it down firmly and add one of the peanut butter balls that was made previously on top of each cookie. Top off with additional cookie dough and 'close' the cookie (See step-by-step photos above).
- Place into refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes. Once chilled, bake at 350°F for 12-14 minutes. Top off with dark chocolate chips if wanted.