A thick and rich chocolate stuffed cookie with a delicious soft peanut butter filling. Preferably devoured while still warm, allowing the peanut butter filling to melt in your mouth. This recipe is truly the perfect mixture of sweet and salty.
Happy 2022! This is my first blog post for the year. I’m so excited for everything this year has in store for this blog!
I’m starting the year off right – with sharing these incredible stuffed cookies. I didn’t think cookies could get any better until I tried stuffed cookies.
Let’s talk peanut butter and chocolate. Whether it’s in the form of Reese’s Peanut Butter cups, or a simple Nutella and peanut butter sandwich, I’m obsessed.
In honour of my favourite combination, I created these Peanut Butter Stuffed Chocolate Cookies! The flavourful rich chocolate cookie is stuffed with a simple peanut butter filling.
For more cookie recipes, try Reese’s Peanut Butter Pretzel Cookies, White Chocolate Reese’s Pieces Peanut Butter Cookies, and Salted Dark Chocolate Chunk Pistachio Cookies.
Why this recipe works
Easy to make. This recipe comes together with just a few steps and there is no chilling required.
Chocolate Peanut Butter. There is creamy peanut butter inside the cookies, and it’s surrounded by a delicious double chocolate cookie.
Soft and chewy. These cookies are thick cookies with perfectly soft and crisp edges.
Scroll to view a few ingredients notes. Full recipe and measurements can be found in the recipe card below.
Butter – I always use unsalted butter. This will be melted.
Brown sugar – I used golden yellow, but any kind of brown sugar works.
Peanut butter – Make sure you use creamy, and not natural.
Cocoa powder – Use a good quality cocoa powder. This will make all the difference in your cookie outcome.
Chocolate chips – I used dark chocolate, but you can add semi-sweet or omit them completely.
Step by step instructions
Here is how to make and bake these peanut butter stuffed chocolate cookies. Check out the full recipe card below for actual measurements.
Step 1: Make the filling. Combine the peanut butter and powdered sugar and mix together until well combined. Taking 1-2 tsp sizes, roll the filling into balls using your hands and set aside on a plate.
Step 2: Make the dough. Cream together butter and sugars. Add in egg and vanilla and continue mixing.
Step 3: Add in dry ingredients. Take the flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda, and add into the mixing bowl. Mix on a low speed until a thick dough forms.
Step 4: Roll the cookies. Scoop out about 1 tbsp of dough onto your prepared baking sheet. Add one of the peanut butter balls that was made previously on top of each cookie. Top off with additional cookie dough and ‘close’ the cookie (See step-by-step photos above).
Step 5: Chill the dough. Place into refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes. Once chilled, bake for 12-14 minutes.
Storing & Freezing
Store these cookies at room temperature on your counter for up to 3 days.
Freeze the cookies in an air tight container for up to 2 months.
What’s the filling made out of?
The filling of these cookies is a mixture of peanut butter and icing sugar (also known as powdered sugar). Make sure you use powdered sugar, and not granulated sugar! They are two completely different types!
Can I use crunchy peanut butter?
For this recipe I used creamy peanut butter. Crunchy works as well, but don’t use natural.
Do I have to chill the dough?
Yes. Chilling cookie dough before baking helps with the spread of the cookie. When placed in the fridge, the fats solidify. So when it bakes, it takes longer to spread.
If you’re stuffing cookies with peanut butter, it’s even more important to chill the dough to prevent further spreading from the inside out!
Check out these recipes
- Chocolate Espresso Walnut Cookies
- Monster Cookies
- Brown Butter Toffee Walnut Cookies
- Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies
Peanut Butter Stuffed Chocolate Cookies
Peanut Butter Filling
- 1/2 cup peanut butter creamy
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Start off by making the filling. Grab a bowl and combine the peanut butter and powdered sugar and mix together until well combined.
- Taking 1-2 tsp sizes, roll the filling into balls using your hands (your hands are the best tool in the kitchen;) The warmth from your hands will help form the balls easy!
- Set aside and start on the cookie dough.
- In a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugars. Ideal creaming time is 3-5 minutes on medium speed, scraping the bowl every now and then with a spatula.
- Add in egg and vanilla and continue mixing.
- Take the flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda, and add into the mixing bowl. Mix on a low speed until a thick dough forms.
- Scoop out about 1 tbsp of dough onto your prepared baking sheet. Press it down firmly and add one of the peanut butter balls that was made previously on top of each cookie. Top off with additional cookie dough and 'close' the cookie (See step-by-step photos above).
- Place into refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes. Once chilled, bake at 350°F for 12-14 minutes. Top off with dark chocolate chips if wanted.