These peanut butter chocolate chip bars are only 9 ingredients and require no mixer. There is an entire layer of creamy peanut butter inside! If you’re a chocolate peanut butter fan, you most definitely should add this to your weekend bake.
Peanut butter chocolate chip bars are peanut butter bars that combine both chocolate chips and creamy peanut butter. They are incredible!
The best part about this recipe is how simple it is. There are only 7 ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry. Once the dough is made, half of it is placed in the pan. Then, peanut butter is dolloped on top and the remaining cookie dough as well. It is a one bowl, no mixer recipe.
If you are looking for more peanut butter recipes, try White Chocolate Reese’s Pieces Peanut Butter Cookies, Chocolate Peanut Butter Stuffed Cookie Bars, and Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Why this recipe works
- Chewy peanut butter bars- Sometimes peanut butter bars can be dry. Not these ones! They are super chewy and delicious!
- Chocolate chips- They are filled with chocolate chips!
- Easy to make- This recipe is very very to put together. No electric mixer is required!
- Butter – Unsalted works best for baking. Remove from fridge 2 hours before baking.
- Brown sugar – I used light brown sugar.
- Chocolate chips – I used semi-sweet, but dark or mini works as well. Milk chocolate will be to sweet.
- Peanut butter – Use creamy peanut butter. Crunchy peanut butter will make it too dry and natural will be to runny.
- Eggs – Pull these out 2 hours before baking.
Step by step instructions
Here is how to make and bake these bars. You may use an electric mixer to speed up the process, but I just used a spatula.
Step 1 – Prep the pan. Spray an 8-by-8-inch baking pan with parchment paper. Line two of the sides with parchment paper. Spray again and set aside.
Step 2 – Mix wet ingredients. Mix the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until smooth. Add in egg and vanilla and continue mixing.
Step 3 – Add in dry ingredients. Add the flour and baking soda and stir until just combined, don’t overmix. Fold in chocolate chips.
Step 4 – Layer the bars. Spread half of the dough (using your fingertips) into the bottom of the prepared baking pan. Dollop the peanut butter onto the dough. Do not spread the peanut butter, but instead drop by the teaspoon or tablespoon instead. Top with remaining cookie dough. If you want the peanut butter to peek through, leave some holes on top.
Step 5 – Bake. Bake the bars for 20-22 minutes. Remove from oven and cool before slicing.
Expert Baking Tips
Here are a few baking tips from my kitchen to yours
- Use an electric mixer to speed up the process.
- Use a good quality creamy peanut butter.
- Don’t spread the peanut butter! You’ll thank me later when there’s large creamy chunks of peanut butter inside your bars.
- If you want that nice swirl showing, don’t layer the entire top with cookie dough.
Can I double this recipe?
Yes, in a 9×13 pan. Keep an eye on the baking time after 18 minutes.
Why can’t I use natural peanut butter?
The consistency of natural peanut butter is a lot runnier, therefore it won’t set properly when done baking.
Can I use a creamy almond butter?
Storing & Freezing
Store the peanut butter chocolate chip bars in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. If you plan on freezing the bars, individually wrap them or use an airtight container. The bars may be frozen for up to 3 months.
My personal favourite way to eat these bars is warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Check out these recipes
- Carrot Cake Cheesecake Bars
- Strawberry Chocolate Chunk Brownies
- Easter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Mini Egg No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Bars
PS : Make sure to leave a STAR REVIEW if you enjoyed this recipe! Let’s stay connected on Instagram @sweettreatsyt. To get more recipes follow me on TikTok @sweettreatsyt!
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bars
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/3 cups brown sugar
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper, set aside.
- Mix butter and sugars until creamy, about 2-3 minutes. You may do this with an electric mixer or by hand.1/2 cup butter, 1/3 cups brown sugar, 2 tbsp white sugar
- Add in egg and vanilla and continue mixing. It will be smooth.1 egg, 1 tbsp vanilla
- Add in flour and baking soda. Don't overmix. The dough will be soft!1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Fold in chocolate chips.1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Spread half of the dough in the bottom of the prepared baking pan using your hands. Dollop the peanut butter onto the dough. Do not spread the peanut butter! This will leave you with thick peanut butter bites. You can use a tsp or tbsp.1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- Top off with the remaining dough. It's okay if some peanut butter is showing, this will give you those nice swirls on top.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 22-24 minutes. The bars will be a light brown on the edges. Remove from oven and cool completely in pan. If you cut open while they're warm, the bars will fall apart. Enjoy!