Mini Egg Chocolate Oatmeal Bars are no bake bars with only 6 ingredients! They have a buttery oat base and a chocolate peanut butter inside. Mini eggs are layered in the bars and sprinkled on top.
This is a spring Easter version of my viral 5 Ingredient Chocolate Oatmeal Bars. It got millions of views last year so I thought I would update them for Easter with everyone’s favourite spring candy; mini eggs!
The bars have a buttery oat base and are layered with chocolate. Since this is a no bake recipe, the chocolate acts like a glue and keeps the bars together.
My favourite part about this recipe is that it is no bake.
Why this recipe works
- No bake – perfect for summer!
- Easy – this recipe is only 6 ingredients and takes 10 minutes to put together!
- Grab & Go – make it ahead of time as a snack on the way out the door.
- Mini eggs – crushed up mini eggs are layered and sprinkled on top of the bars.
- Chocolate – the chocolate peanut butter mixture is sandwiched in between the buttery oat base, helping everything stick together!
Full recipe and ingredients are in the recipe card below. Feel free to scroll through this section to view the six ingredients we’re using!
Butter – Unsalted. This is going to be melted.
Brown sugar – I used golden yellow, but dark brown works as well.
Mini Eggs – I used Cadbury eggs and crushed them up. A no name brand works as well.
Chocolate chips – Semi-sweet are recommended, dark works as well if you’d like a more bitter filling. Milk or white would be too sweet.
Peanut butter – Creamy must be used.
Oats – Quick oats were used. Rolled oats work as well.
Step by step instructions
Here is a more detailed step-by-step than the recipe card. Scroll down for a full recipe video and measurements.
Step 1 – Line and grease an 8×8 square pan with foil or parchment paper.
Step 3 – Melt butter and brown sugar in a large saucepan over medium heat. Once it’s melted together, stir in the vanilla and oats.
Step 4 – Turn the stove onto low, and cook for 2-3 minutes or until the mixture is well combined. Make sure to stir constantly or else it’ll burn! This step is crucial so check out my tips section down below if needed.
Step 5 – Press half of the oatmeal mixture into the prepared square pan and press down firmly with a greased spatula.
Step 6 – Pour 3/4 of the chocolate peanut butter mixture on top and gently spread around. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of crushed mini eggs.
Step 7 – Sprinkle the remaining oatmeal mixture on top. Make sure the entire top is covered. Drizzle with remaining chocolate/peanut butter and the rest of the mini eggs.
Step 8 – Place into the refrigerator to chill until completely set. 2-3 hours, or overnight. Slice and enjoy! Keep at room temperature in an airtight container for 5 days, or in the fridge for up to 10 days.
Expert baking tips
Here are a few baking tips from my kitchen to yours
When cooking the oat mixture, make sure to stir constantly.
Pour the chocolate peanut butter mixture all over the pan, for easier gentle spreading.
You will know the oat mixture is ready when you press it down in the saucepan and it is sticking/coming together.
When layering, gently spread the chocolate mixture so you don’t disturb the base! You may also pick up the pan and tilt it around.
Can I double the recipe?
Yes! Double the ingredients in a 9×13″ pan.
My oatmeal mixture burned when I cooked it. What happened?
This is due to the mixture not being constantly mixed and stirred while it’s cooking. The bottom of the oats will burn if you leave it untouched while it’s on the stovetop. I used a spatula.
My bars are crumbly. Why?
Ensure you are using quick or rolled oats. If you did and the bars are still falling apart, this means that the oatmeal mixture was cooked for too long or the temperature was to high. Next time, decrease the cooking time and/or lower the temperature.
Check out these recipes
Mini Egg Chocolate Oatmeal Bars
- Line an 8×8" square baking dish with parchment paper or foil and lightly grease if it's foil, set aside.
- Melt the chocolate chips and peanut butter in a microwave or on a stovetop using the double boiler method and set aside.1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, 1/2 cup peanut butter
- Melt butter and brown sugar in a large saucepan together over medium heat.1 cup butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Turn the heat down to low. Stir in vanilla. Add in oats. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly1 tbsp vanilla, 3 cups quick oats
- Press half of the oatmeal mixture into the prepared dish and press down firmly.
- Add 3/4's of the chocolate peanut butter mixture and gently spread it on top. Make sure not to disrupt the base. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the crushed Mini Egg's.1 cup Mini Eggs
- Gently sprinkle the remaining oat mixture on top and press it into place. Make sure the entire top is covered with the oat mixture.
- Drizzle the remaining chocolate peanut butter mixture on top. Sprinkle the rest of the crushed Mini Egg's.
- Set in the fridge to cool for 2-3 hours, or overnight, until the chocolate has completely set. Slice & enjoy!