Gooey coffee chocolate chip blondies are the ultimate easy treat. They’re loaded with chopped chocolate, pecans, and coffee in every bite. Enjoy these buttery bites of coffee heaven in 30 minutes!
You guys know I’m all about the coffee-flavoured things. Like these Espresso Chocolate Chip Cookies or Espresso Brownies. Using coffee and espresso in your chocolate desserts enhances the flavours a ton.
I realized I had only a few blondie recipes on my site, so I’m coming in with a favourite today: coffee chocolate chip blondies!
These gooey chocolate chip blondies come together in just a few minutes with a whisk! They have choppeed pecans and dark chocolate inside. The fresh brewed coffee added really brings the flavours to a next gourmet bakery level!
Everyone will love these soft and chewy bars, they’ve even got that perfect crinkle top.
Why you’ll love this recipe
Gooey – These rich blondies are mega soft and loaded with chocolate chips and coffee.
Easy to make – 30 minutes start to finish, with no electric mixer needed.
Flexible – Make in a 9×9 inch square pan or 9×13!
What is a blondie?
A blondie is basically a “blonde” brownie, so it has vanilla instead of chocolate. It tastes just like a giant chewy cookie but in bar form, and are a must bake if you feel like making cookies but don’t feel like rolling them out!
Blondies are easier to whip up than brownies because there’s no chocolate or cocoa powder in them. Yes!
Butter – I always use unsalted butter. This will be melted.
Dark chocolate – I used a chocolate bar to get those gooey pockets of chocolate. You can substitute semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips instead.
Brown sugar – I used light brown sugar, but dark works as well. Both types of sugars will make your blondies soft and chewy.
Pecans – Adds flavour and a nice crunch in the bars.
Baking soda – Slightly lifts the blondies to create more chewiness. If you don’t have baking soda on hand, add 3/4 tsps baking powder instead.
Step by step instructions
Here is how to make and bake these coffee chocolate chip blondies. Before you start, line a square 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C.
Step 1: Whisk the butter and sugar. In a medium bowl, whisk the melted butter and brown sugar. Add in coffee and keep whisking.
Step 2: Add in egg and vanilla. Whisk in the egg and vanilla until well combined.
Step 3: Add in dry ingredients. Fold in the flour, baking soda, and salt, and stir just until no flour streaks appear. Then add the pecans and chocolate chips in and stir gently.
Step 4: Spread and bake. Transfer the batter and spread evenly. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the blondies are set on the edges and the top is a light golden brown. A toothpick inserted into the middle of the blondies should come out with just a couple of crumbs.
Cool the blondies slightly before slicing. Enjoy!
Expert Baking Tips
Here are a few expert baking tips from my kitchen to yours
- Use a kitchen scale: Baking with a gram scale will give you the quickest and most accurate results rather than using a cup to measure with.
- The coffee you use matters: Use brewed regular coffee or espresso, not instant coffee.
- Omitting the coffee: If you want to leave out the coffee, you can replace it with vanilla extract instead. This will make these bars regular chocolate chip pecan bars (still super delicious, just not coffee flavoured!)
- Use high-quality ingredients: Using good-quality chocolate and coffee will give you the best tasting blondies!
- Underbake the blondies: You should remove the blondies from the oven when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs. If there is wet batter, keep baking.
Why are my blondies dry?
This can be caused by baking them too long. When baking blondies, you want to slightly underbake them. As they cool, they continue to bake from the warmth of the pan.
Around the 20 minute mark, insert a toothpick into the center and if it comes out covered in a few moist crumbs, it is ready. If it is wet, continue baking for a few more minutes and check every 3-4 minutes.
Can I bake in an 9×13 pan?
Yes! Double the recipe and bake for 18-24 minutes.
Can I use chocolate chips instead?
Yes! I just prefer a chocolate bar because it gives those gooey pockets of chocolate.
Storing & Freezing
- Room temperature: Store cooled coffee chocolate chip blondies in an airtight container or bag at room temperature for 3-4 days!
- Freezer: Once thee blondies are baked and cooled, slice and place in a sealed container or zip lock bag. The blondies will stay good for 1-3 months.
Check out these recipes
Coffee Chocolate Chip Blondies
- Line a square 9×9 inch baking pan with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together melted butter, brown sugar, and coffee until smooth.3/4 cups butter, 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar, 2 tbsp freshly brewed coffee
- Add in egg and vanilla and continue whisking until paler in colour (about 2 minutes). This is important to mix well for that crackly top.1 egg, 1 tbsp vanilla
- Toss in the baking soda, flour, and salt and fold just until no dry flour streaks appear.1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Add in pecans and chocolate chunks and mix.3/4 cups pecans, 3/4 cups chocolate chunks
- Using a spatula, spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan. Bake for 24-30 minutes, depending on your oven. The blondies are ready the edges are a golden brown and just beginning to form cracks. A wooden skewer inserted into the blondies should come out with just a couple of crumbs. If it is wet, keep baking.
- Slightly open the oven door for 10 minutes and allow the hot air to come out. Then completely remove the blondies from the oven and cool on the counter.
- Let the pan cool completely on a wire cooling rack before cutting, then enjoy!