These fudgy M&M brownies are rich chocolate brownies full of chocolate chips and M&Ms. They come together in one bowl, require no mixer, and have a crinkle top.
I used both regular sized M&M’s and mini M&M’s in this recipe. This guarantees that you’ll have pockets of gooey M&M’s in every bite!
The brownies use melted butter, which adds delicious flavour. Combined with the sugar and dry ingredients, the brownies are then poured into a prepared pan and baked to perfection.
One thing I love about this recipe as well is that you can swap out the M&M’s for any seasonal colours, so we’re baking brownies all year long!
Brownie lovers, this one’s for you!
For more brownie recipes, try Fudgy Oreo Brownies, Nutella Brownies, and Espresso Brownies.
Why this recipe works
Better than boxed – After making these homemade brownies you’ll never go back to a boxed mix.
Easy to make – No electric mixer required. One bowl, simple everyday ingredients.
Extra fudgy brownies – The melted butter used in this recipe as opposed to oil really makes these the ultimate fudgy brownies!
M&M crunch – The M&M’s give a satisfying crunch that compliments the gooey brownies well.
Scroll to view a few ingredients notes. Full recipe and measurements can be found in the recipe card below.
Butter – Unsalted works best for baking. This will be melted.
Eggs – Remove two hours before baking.
Natural unsweetened cocoa powder – Natural cocoa powder is acidic and bitter. It’s got a strong chocolate flavour. My favourite go-to is Hershey’s.
M&M’s – I used regular sized and minis. You can use just regular sized though! If you use just mini, you might not get them in every bite.
Chocolate chips – I used semi-sweet chocolate chips. You can use dark as well. Don’t use milk or white or else it’ll be to sweet.
Dark chocolate – This is added in with the melted butter. I recommend using a dark chocolate bar, and not milk.
Step by step instructions
Here is a more detailed step-by-step than the recipe card. You will need a bowl, a spatula, a whisk, and an 8×8 inch square pan. Scroll down for recipe photos and full measurements.
Step 1 – Prep. Grease the pan. For easy removal of the brownies, place parchment paper on the bottom and 2 sides of the pan. Grease again and then set side.
Step 2 – Melt the butter and chocolate. Once the butter is hot, add in the dark chocolate. Whisk on low until it turns glossy. Remove from heat.
Step 3 – Add in wet ingredients. Whisk in eggs, brown sugar, white sugar, and vanilla until smooth.
Step 4 – Add in dry ingredients. Toss in the flour, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder. Fold with a spatula until just combined.
Step 5 – Toss in add-ins. Gently mix in the mini M&M’s, regular M&M’s, and chocolate chips. Don’t overmix!
Step 6 – Spread and bake. Transfer the brownies into your prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake for 25-35 minutes (mine took 35 minutes exactly).
Step 7 – Cool the brownies. The brownies still bake in the pan as they cool down. Therefore it’s best to wait until they’re completely cooled before slicing. If you cut them while hot/very warm they’ll fall apart.
Store the brownies at room temperature on your counter or in the fridge for up to 5 days!
Do the brownies taste bitter because you used dark chocolate?
Not at all! The sugar, chocolate chips, and M&M’s sweeten this recipe perfectly. If you use a milk chocolate bar in the first step, it’ll be way to sweet.
How do I know my brownies are ready?
You’ll know it’s ready when a toothpick comes out slight fudgy. If it is runny and the batter is dripping off the toothpick, bake for an additional 5 minutes and check again.
Do I have to add both types of M&M’s?
Nope! I just did it to guarantee M&M’s in every bite. You can add more of whichever one you’re using.
Why did my brownies sink?
This means that the brownies were too under done. Even if the edges look set, you have to make sure the middle is too because that takes the longest to bake. Mine took 35 minutes.
Can I use light brown sugar?
You can, but dark brown will create the best texture.
Can I double this recipe?
I haven’t tried this but I don’t see why not. Double the brownies and bake in a 9×13 pan. Keep an eye on the bake time.
Expert Baking Tips
Here are a few baking tips from my kitchen to yours
- When you are making the brownies, you need to gently fold the rest of the ingredients after the eggs are beaten. Use a spatula, and not a whisk.
- The eggs have to whisked for at least 2 minutes to help aerate (add air) added into the batter. This is what gives us that crackle top!
- Line the bottom and two sides with parchment paper. Grease the other two sides. This will allow for the easiest removal from the pan.
- You want to mix the butter and chocolate bar together when the butter is really hot. Allow it to cool for 5 min before adding in the eggs – you don’t want to cook them!
Check out these recipes
- 4 Ingredient Cookies & Cream Bars
- 5 ingredient No Bake Biscoff Cheesecake Bars
- 5 ingredient S’mores Rice Krispie Treats
- Banana Brownies
PS : If you enjoyed this recipe, please make sure to leave a STAR REVIEW down below! I’d love to stay connected on Instagram @sweettreatsyt! To get more recipes follow me on TikTok @sweettreatsyt!
Fudgy M&M Brownies
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup mini M&M's
- 1/4 cup regular sized M&M's
- 1 dark chocolate bar (85g)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8×8 pan. For easy removal of the brownies, place parchment paper on the bottom and 2 sides of the pan. Grease again and then set aside.
- Melt the butter. Once it's hot, add in the dark chocolate bar. Allow it to melt and whisk together until it's one, smooth mixture. Allow to cool for 5 minutes on your counter.1/2 cup butter, 1 dark chocolate bar (85g)
- Add in the brown sugar, white sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Whisk well. You want to add air into the batter in this step, so it's important to whisk for at least 2 minutes. The mixture will be slightly bubbly when it's ready to go to the next step.1/2 cup dark brown sugar, 1/2 cup white sugar, 2 eggs, 1 tbsp vanilla
- Toss in the flour, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder. Fold in with a spatula until just combined.1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 1/4 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp salt
- Add in the chocolate chips, mini M&M's, and regular M&M's.1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, 1/4 cup mini M&M's, 1/4 cup regular sized M&M's
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish, spread evenly, and top with a handful of regular and mini M&M’s.
- Bake the brownies for 25-35 minutes. Mine took 35 minutes. The brownies are ready when a toothpick inserted comes out slightly fudgy. If the batter is wet, keep baking for an additional 5 minutes.
- When ready, slightly open your oven door and allow the hot air to escape. If you just take them straight out of them oven, the brownies will drop. After 10 minutes, remove from the oven and allow to cool on your counter before slicing. You can speed up the cooling process by placing them in the fridge as well.