Soft, thick, and extra gooey Easter chocolate chip cookies! These cookies are loaded with chocolate and Easter M&M’s. They are truly the best buttery cookies that will have people asking you what bakery you got them from haha!
It’s finally that time of the year where I can whip out all the pretty pastels! Easter is truly one of my favourite times of the year.
Buttery, chewy, chocolate-y, and soft are just a few words I can think off the top of my head for these cookies! They are everything and more you want in a cookie.
My favourite part (other than the cute colours) is that there’s no chill time required for these cookies. Meaning you get them in your belly in 20 minutes or less!
The pastel M&M’s make me so happy. Spring is coming! Yay!
For more cookie recipes, try Salted Dark Chocolate Chunk Pistachio Cookies, Blueberry Muffin Cookies, and Biscoff Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Why this recipe works
Thick and soft – These cookies are extra chewy and thick. The secret ingredient? Cornstarch!
Easter – The sweetest Easter treat to bake!
Pantry ingredients – All of the ingredients are most likely already in your pantry!
M&M’s – These cookies have semi-sweet chocolate and Spring M&M’s in every bite!
Butter – I always use unsalted for baking. Make sure it is softened. Remove 2 hours prior to baking or the night before.
Brown sugar – I used light brown sugar. Dark brown sugar works as well.
Baking soda – Helps create those crisp edges with soft centers.
Cornstarch – Our secret ingredient for thick and soft cookies.
Chocolate chips – Use a high quality chocolate chip brand for best results. I used semi-sweet chocolate chips and dark chocolate chips. You can use either or, I preferred both for this recipe though. I don’t recommend milk chocolate chips because it will be too sweet. You may also chop up a chocolate bar.
Egg – Remove 2 hours before baking or the night before.
M&M’s – I used pastel M&M’s for the spring season. They are sometimes hard to find. You may use the regular kind too.
Step by step instructions
Here is how to make and bake these salted dark chocolate pistachio cookies. You will need a bowl, a whisk, a spatula, an ice cream scoop, and a baking sheet that’s lined with parchment paper.
Step 1 – Cream the butter and sugars. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars together. Beat in the egg and vanilla until thoroughly combined.
Step 2 – Fold in dry ingredients. Mix in flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt until no dry streaks appear.
Step 3 – Add in’s. Toss in the chocolate chips and M&M’s and mix in.
Step 4 – Scoop and bake. Scoop 6 cookies at a time onto the prepared baking tray. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Cookies will appear slightly under-baked in the middle.
Allow them to sit on the tray after baking for 10 minutes until transferring to a cooling rack. Enjoy!
Expert Baking Tips
- Use a gram scale for the most accurate measurements. To convert this recipe, click the ‘metric’ button next to the ingredients title on the recipe card.
- Use a cookie dough scoop to scoop the cookie dough. This keeps the cookies uniform in size.
- Don’t over-bake the cookies. When you remove them from the oven, they continue to bake on the tray!
- Save a few add-ins. Press them into the cookies once they’re done baking!
Can I use any chocolate chips?
Yes but I recommend semi-sweet or dark. Milk or white will be to sweet!
Do I have to add cornstarch?
Yes. It’s our secret ingredient in this recipe!
Storing & Freezing
Scoop the cookie dough balls and place into a freezer safe bag for up to 2 months. Once ready to bake, place the thawed out cookie dough balls on a baking sheet and bake at 350F for 14-16 minutes and enjoy!
Store Easter chocolate chip cookies in an air tight container at room temperature or in the fridge for up to 5 days. Enjoy the cookies warm by reheating them in the microwave for about 10 seconds.
Check out these recipes
- Carrot Cake Cheesecake Bars
- Strawberry Chocolate Chunk Brownies
- Easter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Mini Egg No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Bars
PS : Make sure to leave a STAR REVIEW if you enjoyed this recipe! Let’s stay connected on Instagram @sweettreatsyt. To get more recipes follow me on TikTok @sweettreatsyt!
Easter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3/4 cups butter softened
- 3/4 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cups spring M&M's
- 3/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350℉/180℃. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars until well combined (2 minutes). Add in the egg and vanilla and continue creaming until paler in colour (Another 2 minutes).3/4 cups butter, 3/4 cups brown sugar, 1/2 cup white sugar, 1 egg, 1 tbsp vanilla
- Add flour, baking soda, salt, and cornstarch into the bowl and mix until just combined and no flour streaks appear.2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, 2 tsp cornstarch, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt
- Toss in the M&M's and chocolate chips and mix until just incorporated. Don't overmix!3/4 cups spring M&M's, 3/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Scoop out about 2 tablespoons of cookie dough and roll into balls. An ice cream scooper works best for this.
- Bake 6 cookies at a time for 12-15 minutes. The middle will look under-baked, we want it this way!
- Gently press additional M&M's and chocolate chips on top of the cookies if desired.
- Let the cookies sit for several minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a cooling rack. This will help them continue to bake before cooling completely.