M&M cookie bars are chewy and soft cookie bars loaded with chocolate and M&Ms. The delicate, nutty flavour from the brown butter brings this recipe to a whole other level.
With only 9 ingredients, these bars are so easy! It all gets mixed in one bowl, no electric mixer required.
I made these bars last year on my blog as one of my first recipes here, so now they’re getting an upgrade! These M&M cookie bars are gooey, soft and loaded with M&M’s and chocolate chips. They are perfect for a cookie exchange or holiday party!
For more cookie bars, try Chocolate Peanut Butter Stuffed Cookie Bars, Soft and Chewy Gingerbread Cookie Bars, and Cookie Butter Chocolate Chunk Bars.
Why this recipe works
Easy to make.- Only 8 ingredients that are probably already in your pantry!
Festive – The holiday M&M’s add a great Christmas touch!
Soft & chewy – These bars are super gooey and delicious!
Brown butter – The brown butter adds a strong gourmet flavour!
Full recipe and ingredients are in the recipe card below. Feel free to scroll through this section to view certain key ingredients we’re using!
Butter – Unsalted. This will be melted and browned.
Brown sugar – I used dark brown sugar but light brown sugar works as well!
M&M’s – I used holiday M&M’s for this recipe. Feel free to use any seasonal or regular ones!
Chocolate chips – Mini chocolate chips are my favourite to use as they create tiny perfect pockets of chocolate. You can use dark or semi-sweet as well, but not milk.
Step by step instructions
Here is how to make and bake these M&M Christmas bars. You will need an 8×8 pan, a bowl, a spatula, and a whisk.
Step 1: Prep the pan. Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C. Line a square 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper and set it aside.
Step 2: Brown the butter. Check out the recipe card for browning butter details. Once browned and slightly cooled, whisk with brown sugar and white sugar. Then whisk in eggs and vanilla.
Step 3: Add in dry ingredients. Toss in flour and baking soda and fold with a spatula until just combined.
Step 4: Mix in add-ins. Add in chocolate chips and M&Ms.
Step 5: Transfer and bake. Spread evenly into the prepared pan and then bake. The bars will look golden brown on the edge but slightly puffy in the middle. Let the bars cool completely on a wire cooling rack before cutting and enjoy!
Expert Baking Tips
Here are a few expert baking tips from my kitchen to yours
- Use a gram scale for the most accurate measurements.
- Substitute the M&M’s for any occasion, holiday-related or not.
- Extra M&M’s on top. Add a few M&M’s on top of the dough right before baking them. You may also press a few M&M’s on top immediately after the bars come out of the oven.
Can I double the recipe?
Yes! Use a 9×13 pan and keep an eye on the time.
Do I have to brown the butter?
No! Although if you’re already melting it you may as well brown it. The nutty aroma and flavour it gives is a game changer for this recipe.
How do I know it’s ready?
The edges will be slightly golden brown, but the middle will still be light in colour and slightly puffy. It will continue to bake in the pan as it sets.
Room temperature: Once baked and cooled down to room temperature, store the cookie bars in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
Freezer: Store them in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 1 month.
Check out these recipes
- Carrot Cake Cheesecake Bars
- Easter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Mini Egg No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Bars
- Valentine’s Day Kitchen Sink Cookies
PS : Make sure to leave a STAR REVIEW if you enjoyed this recipe! Let’s stay connected on Instagram @sweettreatsyt. To get more recipes follow me on TikTok @sweettreatsyt!
M&M Christmas Cookie Bars
- 1/2 cup butter melted and browned
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup Christmas M&M's
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C. Line a square 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper and set it aside.
- Brown the butter: Melt the butter in a medium sized pan over medium heat. Once it melts, it will crackle, then become foamy – continue mixing the butter while this happens to prevent burning. The butter will go from melted to golden brown quickly, and you'll know it's almost done when the aroma of browned butter arrives. The whole process should take about 5 minutes! Once golden, remove from heat and transfer to a glass bowl. Let the butter cool for 30 minutes while you prep on the rest of the recipe.
- Whisk together the slightly cooled browned butter and both sugars. Add in egg and vanilla and continue whisking.1/2 cup butter, 1/4 cup white sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1 tbsp vanilla, 1 egg
- Using a spatula, fold in the flour and baking soda. The dough will be soft, don't over-mix!1/2 tsp baking soda, 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Toss in the chocolate chips and M&M's and mix.1/3 cup mini chocolate chips, 1/3 cup Christmas M&M's
- Press into prepared pan. Bake for 18-20 minutes until the edges are golden brown. The middle will look slightly puffy. Allow to cool in pan, slice, and enjoy!