These Cookie Butter Chocolate Chunk Bars bars are soft, chewy and bursting with flavour! If you like cinnamon and gingersnaps, this recipe is for you! Filled with warm spices and loaded up with chocolate, these dense delicious bars will be your new favourite.
I discovered Biscoff cookie butter while visiting The Netherlands and tried it on my toast. It reminded me of peanut butter because of the texture. As soon as I got back to Canada, I searched far and wide to find a jar.
With no luck, I put my cookie butter baking ideas on halt until further notice. Fast forward some time later, and I stumbled upon jars of cookie butter in my local European grocery store. Hurray! Today I’m sharing one of many cookie butter recipes to come; cookie butter chocolate chunk bars. These bars are loaded with chopped up chocolate and have that unmatched cookie butter flavour.
What is Cookie Butter?
Cookie butter, also known as Biscoff spread, is a ground spice cookie spread. It is creamy, with texture similar to peanut butter or Nutella, and can easily be placed on toast, crepes, or waffles.
The spice cookies that are crushed up that make the cookie butter are called Speculoos. They are a popular cookie in Europe, with spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger inside. The flavour is caramelized and gingerbread-like. They are often served during the holidays, and with tea!
Just like regular peanut butter or Nutella, you store cookie butter in your pantry.
Other recipes to try
- 4 Ingredient Cookies & Cream Bars
- 5 ingredient No Bake Biscoff Cheesecake Bars
- 5 ingredient S’mores Rice Krispie Treats
- Applesauce Brownies
Gooey Cookie Butter Chocolate Chunk Bars
- 1 9×9 inch square pan
- 1 cup cookie butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare a square pan (9×9 or 8×8) with parchment paper.
- Add cookie butter into a bowl and mix with a handheld or stand mixer for 2-3 minutes on medium speed.1 cup cookie butter
- Tumble in brown sugar and continue mixing.1/2 cup brown sugar
- Add vanilla and egg. Continue mixing on medium speed. Scrape bowl when necessary with spatula.2 tsp vanilla, 2 eggs
- Mix the molasses in on low speed, it will be smooth but sort of oily texture. See video for exact visuals. Turn mixer off.1/4 cup molasses
- Add in flour and cinnamon. Mix on low speed until just combined. The dough will be thick.1 cup + 2 tbsp flour, 2 tsp cinnamon
- Tumble in chocolate chunks and fold in with a wooden spoon.1/2 cup chocolate chunks
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and press it down into an even layer. Bake for 28-30 minutes. If you'd like to add extra chocolate chunks after baking to get that nice melted look, do it immediately after removing it from the oven.