It’s the most wonderful time of the year! These gingerbread bars are the next best festive treat you need to add to your Christmas baking. The bars are full of warm spices and flavour and topped off with a sweet fluffy cream cheese frosting and decorated with holiday sprinkles and cute little Gingerbread men.
Making and cutting gingerbread men can become an unnecessarily long hassle, especially when you’re on a time crunch during the Holiday season. With these Chewy Gingerbread Cookie Bars, you’ve got the same flavours for a fraction of the work.
Why you will LOVE this recipe
- Full of warm spices.
- One bowl recipe.
- Easy and straightforward.
- Simple ingredients.
- Crowd pleaser.
- Perfectly spiced.
- Gets the house smelling like Christmas!
- Ummmm…gingerbread. ‘Nuff said 🤤🤤
‘Tis the season for Christmas baking! I am beyond excited to share this recipe with you. Growing up, I would always bake gingerbread men with my family. We’d spend all of Saturday rolling out dough, using cookie cutters, making icing, and frosting them after. Looking back now as a 21-year-old, I can’t believe that we kept the tradition up during the busiest time of the year! (You go mom!!) Anyways, there’s nothing that puts me in the Christmas spirit like gingerbread. That’s why I’m sharing these Gingerbread Cookie Bars! While they bake, your home will be filled with the wonderful aroma of warm spices like ginger and cinnamon, mixed with hints of sweet brown sugar and molasses. These Soft and Chewy Gingerbread Bars should definitely be one of your treats you make this #HolidaySeason!
Check out these progress photos while the recipe was being made! One bowl, no hassle. Gotta love it!
Chewy Gingerbread Cookie Bars
Gingerbread Cookie Bars
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 6 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl, whisk together melted butter and both sugars.
- Whisk in molasses, egg, and vanilla.
- Once well combined, fold in flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg. This will form a thick batter. Do not over-mix.
- Pour into a prepared (lined and greased) 8×8 square pan. Spread out evenly.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- While it cools, prep the frosting. In a stand mixer cream together cream cheese and butter on medium speed for 3-5 minutes.
- Add in powdered sugar and vanilla and continue mixing until a smooth and thick frosting has formed.
- For thicker frosting, add more sugar until desired preference has been reached.
- Once the bars have completely cooled, frost and decorate with sprinkles and gingerbread men (optional).