Banana Nutella Muffins are soft and fluffy muffins swirled with Nutella in the middle and on top. The muffins require no mixer so it’s super easy to bake!
This recipe is great to use any leftover bananas with! You can use either fresh or frozen.
My favourite part about these muffins is the Nutella. It’s swirled into the batter before baking and pairs perfectly with the banana flavours.
Why this recipe works
Banana bread – This recipe is like banana bread but in muffin form! It’s so good!
Easy to make – There is no mixer required for this recipe.
Ripe bananas – Use up any leftover fresh or frozen bananas you have laying around.
Nutella – The muffins have Nutella swirled both inside and on top of the batter before baking.
Full recipe and ingredients are in the recipe card below. Feel free to scroll through this section to view the five ingredients we’re using!
Butter – Unsalted. This will be melted.
Eggs – Remove the egg out 2 hours before baking.
Milk – I used 3.25% whole milk but any kind works. Remove 2 hours before baking.
Ripe bananas- The bananas should be brown spotted for the best texture. With frozen bananas, allow to get to room temperature and drain any excess water before mashing.
Nutella – You can use actual Nutella or a store brand version.
Step by Step Instructions
Here is how to make and bake these moist Banana Nutella muffins! This recipe doesn’t require an electric mixer, just a bowl and a whisk! It also needs a 12 muffin tin baking pan along with some muffin liners. Bake the muffins six at a time to get a better rise.
Step 1: Melt the butter – In a saucepan over low heat, melt the butter. Allow to cool completely while you measure out the rest of the ingredients.
Step 2: Mix the dry ingredients – In a small bowl, add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Whisk together and set aside.
Step 3: Mash the bananas – In a large bowl, mash the ripe bananas with a fork or potato masher. Mash the bananas well. There will be some chunks that are unavoidable. That is fine.
Step 4: Whisk the wet ingredients – In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, melted butter, vanilla, white sugar, and brown sugar. Add in mashed bananas and mix until just combined.
Step 5: Add in the flour mixture – Use a spatula to fold in the flour mixture.
Step 6: Scoop the batter – Scoop the batter into the liners, it will be half full. Add 1 teaspoon of Nutella on top of each muffin. Spread the Nutella around using a knife or toothpick.
Then, scoop another dollop of batter on top. The muffin liner should be full now. Add another teaspoon of Nutella and swirl it on top.
Step 7: Bake – Bake at 350°F for 20-22 minutes. Only bake 6 muffins at a time. This help to encourage the rise.
Cool the muffins on the cooling rack.
Expert Baking Tips
Here are a few baking tips from my kitchen to yours
- Make sure not to over mix the batter!
- Before using the Nutella, give the jar a thorough mix. I find that when it sits in my pantry the oils rise to the top which we don’t want!
- Properly measure the flour by spooning the flour into the measuring cup. If you stick the measuring cup directly into the bag of flour, it will compact it and you will have more than you need. A digital scale will give you the most accurate results.
- The bananas should be spotted brown for best results.
- Bake 6 muffins at a time to get a bigger rise. Fill the remaining six muffin tins with a little bit of water (approx 1 tbsp each).
Can I bake these into a jumbo muffins?
Yes you can! It will make 6 jumbo muffins. Bake for 5 minutes longer or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Why are my muffins dry?
You either baked the muffins for to long, or over measured your flour by compacting it.
Can I use a mini muffins pan?
Yes you can!
Storing and freezing
These muffins are best eaten warm. Store these Nutella banana muffins in an airtight container at room temperature. Store up to 5 days.
Freeze these muffins in an airtight container. Freeze up to 14 days.
Thaw for 1-2 hours before eating. I usually freeze them and grab one on my way out the door for later!
Other muffin recipes to try
- Double Chocolate Muffins
- Strawberry Chocolate Muffins
- Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Banana Nutella Muffins
Banana Nutella Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a muffin tin with 6 liners. Only baking 6 at a time will allow for a better rise. Set aside.
- In a saucepan over low heat, melt the butter. Allow to cool completely while you measure out the rest of the ingredients.
- In a small bowl, add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Whisk together.
- In a large bowl, mash the ripe bananas with a fork or potato masher. Mash the bananas well. There will be some chunks that are unavoidable. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, melted butter, vanilla, white sugar, and brown sugar.
- Add the mashed bananas and gently whisk for a few seconds until incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Using a spatula, fold until no flour streaks appear and a batter has formed.
- Use a cookie scoop to scoop 1 scoop of batter into the 6 muffins liners. Spoon 1/2 tsp of Nutella on top. Use a toothpick or knife to lightly swirl it together. Add another scoop of batter on top, the muffin liner will be full. Add another 1/2 tsp of Nutella and swirl it on top.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out the center clean.
- Allow the muffins to sit in the hot pan for 10 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy!