These Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are easy to make and incredibly fluffy. The muffins are extra soft because of the ripe bananas and melted butter used. They are also full of mini chocolate chips and are a no mixer recipe! Enjoy as a grab-and-go snack, brunch, or breakfast!
These banana chocolate chip muffins are so incredibly soft! They are made in a 12 cup muffin pan with cupcake liners.
This recipe is very simple to put together. Both the dry and wet ingredients are mixed separately, then together, to create a delicious banana-y batter. It’s topped with extra mini chocolate chips and baked to golden perfection!
These muffins are a sweet grab-and-go snack for any time of the day. I like to bake them ahead of time and grab one out of the freezer on my way out the door! They are great as a breakfast or after school snack.
For more banana and muffin recipes, check out my No Bake 4 ingredient Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies, Strawberry Chocolate Muffins, or Double Chocolate Muffins!
This blog generates income via ads at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Why this recipe works
- Ripe bananas – This recipe is a good way to use up ripe bananas, fresh or frozen!
- Breakfast – Healthy breakfast or snack idea.
- Easy to make – Super simple recipe that comes together in under 20 minutes. It requires two mixing bowls, a whisk, a rubber spatula, cupcake liners, and a 12-cup muffin pan.
- Mini chocolate chips- The mini chips provide the perfect muffin to chocolate ratio.
- Fluffy & moist – These Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are very moist and soft!
- Grab n’ go – Make the night before, and grab a muffin on your way out!
Full recipe and ingredients are in the recipe card below. Feel free to scroll through this section to view certain key ingredients we’re using!
Bananas – 3 large bananas are used. If using frozen bananas, thaw and drain any excess liquid before adding into the bowl.
Butter – Unsalted butter works best for baking. This is going to be melted.
Chocolate chips – Mini chocolate chips are used.
Quick oats –Adds a nice texture and a mild nutty flavour to baked goods.
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1 – Line a muffin tin with 12 liners. Set aside.
Step 2 – In a small bowl, whisk together flour, oats, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon.
Step 3 – In a large bowl, mash the bananas. Add in melted butter, milk, and white sugar and whisk together until well combined.
Step 4 – Add in eggs and vanilla and continue whisking until light and frothy. This will take 2-3 minutes. It’s important to mix the eggs in well in order to get fluffy muffins.
Step 5 – Add the dry ingredients into the wet and stir with a spatula until just combined. The batter will be very liquidy. Do not overmix!
Step 6 – Toss in mini chocolate chips and stir.
Step 7 – Divide evenly between the 12 liners. The batter should fill each liner up to the top. Add extra mini chocolate chips on top.
Step 8 – Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. The muffins will look golden brown.
Step 9 – Slightly open your oven door and allow the hot air to escape like this for 10 minutes before removing the pan completely from the oven and placing it on the counter. If removed immediately, the muffins will sink.
Step 10 – Leave on counter for 1-2 days, store in a bag on the counter for up to 4 days, or freeze in an airtight container for up to 1 month! Enjoy!
Expert Baking Tips
Here are five awesome tips from my kitchen to yours!
Do not overmix the batter or else the muffins will turn out tough.
Mash the bananas until there are no large clumps left. This will help them rise better!
Use a larger bowl for the wet ingredients. Everything will be eventually combined in this bowl!
Using mini chocolate chips allows for a better rise from the muffins!
When measuring your flour, scoop it into the cup – don’t place your measuring cup directly into the bag of flour. This will compact it and give you more flour than you need.
How do I store my muffins?
Store in a ziplock bag or airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Can I freeze my muffins?
Yes! Wrap each one individually using saran wrap or foil. You may also place them all into a ziplock bag. Make sure you line the bag with a paper towel to prevent them from getting soggy. You may store them like this for up to 1 month. This is a great meal prep idea!
Can I use regular sized chocolate chips?
Can I use frozen bananas?
Yes! Once at room temperature, make sure to drain the excess water from the plate before mashing them.
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a muffin tin with 12 liners.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, quick oats, cinnamon, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.1 cup flour, 1 cup quick oats, 2 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp baking powder
- Into another larger bowl, add the ripe bananas and mash with a fork until there are no large banana clumps. Make sure the bowl is large enough for all the ingredients for later.3 large bananas
- Add in melted butter, milk, and white sugar, and continue whisking.1/3 cup melted butter, 1/4 cup milk, 1/2 cup white sugar
- Add in eggs and vanilla and whisk for 2-3 minutes until the batter is light in colour and slightly frothy.2 eggs, 2 tsp vanilla
- Add the dry into the wet and gently fold using a spatula. The mixture will be thin. Do not overmix!
- Toss in the mini chocolate chips and mix.1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Divide evenly between the 12 liners. The batter should go all the way to the top.
- Sprinkle extra mini chocolate chips on top (optional).
- Bake for 20-22 minutes until the top is golden brown and the muffins have risen and domed. A toothpick placed in the centre should come out clean.
- Turn off your oven and slightly open your oven door. Allow the hot air to escape like this for 10 minutes. Then, remove the pan from the oven and allow the muffins to cool on the counter. If you remove the muffins from the oven right away, they will drop!
- Leave on counter for 1-2 days, store in a bag on the counter for up to 4 days, or freeze in an airtight container for up to 1 month! Enjoy!