These one bowl small batch chocolate chip cookies makes 3 large chewy cookies! It’s the perfect recipe to bake when you only need a few cookies and not an entire dozen. They are soft cookies full of chocolate chips with crisp edges. No chilling required!
Whenever I’m craving some cookies but don’t want an entire batch I make these. It’s the perfect amount of cookies for yourself or you and a friend. If I’m being honest though, I ate them all by myself haha! I usually double the recipe if I know there’s two of us.
All the ingredients are simple ingredients you can find in your pantry. It comes together in one bowl in less than 20 minutes to get those cookie cravings satisfied right away!
For more cookie recipes, try Cinnamon Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies, Condensed Milk Chocolate Chip Cookies, and Double Chocolate Condensed Milk Cookies.
Why this recipe works
- 3 large cookies – This recipe makes 3 large cookies! You can also divide them into smaller cookies, or double it and make more!
- Gooey centres – The inside of the cookies are super gooey and two types of chocolate is used.
- Chewy texture – The cookies are very chewy and have crisp edges.
- Easy to make – The cookies require one bowl and no chill time.
- Butter – I always use unsalted for baking. Make sure it is melted and cooled. If it is too warm, the cookies will spread too much in the oven.
- Brown sugar – I used light brown sugar. Dark brown sugar works as well.
- Egg – An egg yolk is used for richness.
- Salt – These cookies are balanced with salt and have extra sea salt sprinkled on top after baking for both looks and flavour.
- Chocolate chips – Use a high quality chocolate chip brand for best results. I used semi-sweet chocolate chips and dark chocolate chips. You can use either or, I preferred both for this recipe though. I don’t recommend milk chocolate chips because it will be too sweet. You may also chop up a chocolate bar.
Step by step instructions
Here is how to make and bake these small batch chocolate chip cookies. Use a whisk, a spatula, and a bowl.
Step 1: Mix butter and sugars. Whisk the cooled melted butter, white sugar, and brown sugar in a large bowl. Then whisk in vanilla and egg yolk.
Step 2: Add in dry ingredients. Fold in flour, baking soda, and salt.
Step 3: Add in chocolate chips. Next, add in the chocolate chips. Use a rubber spatula to fold them in.
Step 4: Scoop the dough. I used a large cookie scoop. Scoop 3 cookie dough balls onto a prepared baking tray.
Step 5: Bake the cookies. Bake the cookies for 13-16 minutes. Mine took 16 minutes exactly.
Step 6: Enjoy. Top the cookies with a sprinkle of sea salt and cool slightly. Enjoy!
I personally eat these cookies warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Expert Baking Tips
Here are a few baking tips from my kitchen to yours
Use a chopped up chocolate bar for extra gooey centres.
Make 6 small cookies, instead of 3 larger ones. Bake them for 9-11 minutes.
Don’t over mix the dough once the dry ingredients are added. If you over mix, the dough will appear more dry and tough.
Adding a dash of sea salt on top not only helps balance the flavours, but it looks more bakery-style!
Make sure the flour is spooned and leveled properly. If you stick the measuring cup into the flour, this will compact it. A scale will give you the most accurate measurements.
Can I make smaller cookies?
Yes. They won’t be as chewy though. Making larger cookies helps create that super gooey centre and crisp edge. If you make them smaller, bake for 9-11 minutes.
Can I freeze the cookie dough balls?
Yes you can make them ahead of time! Freeze in an airtight container if planning on not baking them the same day. When you’re ready to bake, place them in the oven for 15-18 minutes. Be aware though that baking cookies from frozen dough balls will not allow them to spread as much.
My cookies spread way to much?
Was your butter warm? This is most often the reason. You also may of inaccurately measured the flour.
Check out these recipes
- Easter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Blueberry Muffin Cookies
- Banana Bread Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Salted Dark Chocolate Chunk Pistachio Cookies
PS : Make sure to leave a STAR REVIEW if you enjoyed this recipe! Let’s stay connected on Instagram @sweettreatsyt. To get more recipes follow me on TikTok @sweettreatsyt!
Small Batch Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 1 egg yolk room temperature
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt the butter in the microwave and let cool for 15 minutes.1/4 cup butter
- In a large bowl, whisk melted butter, brown sugar, and sugar. Add in vanilla and egg. Whisk until smooth.1/3 cup light brown sugar, 1 tbsp white sugar, 1 egg yolk, 1 tbsp vanilla
- Add in flour, baking soda, and salt. Use a rubber spatula and fold the dough until just combined. Do not over mix! Add in dark and semi-sweet chocolate chips and fold into dough.2/3 cups all-purpose flour, 1/4 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Scoop 3 cookie dough balls and place on the prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 13-16 minutes. Mine took 16 minutes. The cookies will be ready when the edges are a golden brown, but the inside will look very soft. Remove from oven and sprinkle a dash of sea salt if desired. Let the cookies cool on the hot pan for a few minutes before serving warm or cool completely and enjoy!