These funfetti sugar cookies are such a sweet birthday treat! They are soft and chewy cookies with a fun buttercream surprise in the middle. The rich and buttery cookie flavour paired with the sweet vanilla frosting middle is so good!
It’s my 23rd birthday today! I’m actually not a big fan of cakes, I way rather prefer cookies or brownies instead!
Today I’m sharing these delicious funfetti frosting stuffed cookies. They come together in one bowl with just a few simple ingredients.
The funfetti cookie dough base is full of butter, sugar, and sprinkles. They are soft, chewy, and oh so fun!
If you’re not a fan of frosting, this recipe also is a great cookie recipe to make as a simple funfetti cookie recipe.
Why this recipe works
Chewy sugar cookies – These are delicious soft and chewy sugar cookies filled with sprinkle fun!
Stuffed cookies – This buttercream frosting comes together in 3 ingredients.
Quick and easy – These cookies come together with 9 simple ingredients!
Sprinkles – They just make everything better and more fun!
Butter – I used unsalted. This will be melted.
Brown sugar – Light or dark brown sugar works.
Powdered sugar – Also known as icing sugar. This will be used for the frosting.
Sprinkles – I used rainbow jimmies.
Step by step instructions
Here is how to make and bake these funfetti frosting stuffed cookies. You will need a baking tray lined with parchment paper, a large mixing bowl, a spatula, and a whisk.
Step 1: Make the frosting. In a small bowl, cream together the butter, icing sugar, and vanilla. A thick frosting will form and it won’t be sticky. If it’s sticky, add more icing sugar.
Roll the frosting into 12 even balls, about 1 tbsp each. Place onto parchment paper and stick into the freezer while we prep the dough.
Step 2: Whisk butter and sugars. In a large bowl, add the melted butter, brown sugar, and white sugar into a bowl. Whisk together until well combined.
Step 3: Add egg and vanilla. Toss in the egg and vanilla and continue whisking until paler in colour.
Step 4: Toss in dry ingredients. Add in flour, baking soda, and salt. The dough will be soft. Add sprinkles and mix a few more times until well incorporated.
Step 5: Stuff the cookies. Scoop the cookies and place a frozen frosting in the center of each cookie. Seal the cookie up completely (look at images for reference) and place onto baking sheet.
Step 6: Bake. Bake 6 cookies at a time, for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are set.
Expert Baking Tips
- Use a gram scale for most accurate measurements. Especially for the dry ingredients!
- Slowly add in the vanilla when making the frosting! It’s really easy to add to much vanilla and make the frosting to thin. We want this frosting thick and rollable, not sticking to your hands. Remember, you can always add more, but never take away once you’ve mixed it in!
- If the frosting is to thin, add more icing sugar.
- Make sure the frosting balls are completely sealed into the cookie. Also make sure they are completely frozen when adding them inside the cookies!
Can I use other sprinkles?
Yes of course! I think these would be so fun with birthday party colours or gender reveal colours.
Can I make this recipe without the frosting?
Yes! This recipe creates a buttery, soft, and chewy funfetti cookie with or without the frosting center!
Check out these recipes
- Cinnamon Apple Oatmeal Cookies
- Chocolate Espresso Walnut Cookies
- Monster Cookies
- Brown Butter Toffee Walnut Cookies
Funfetti Frosting Stuffed Cookies
For the frosting
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350℉/180℃. Line 2 baking trays by lining them with parchment paper. Set aside.
Make the Frosting
- In a small bowl, add the butter, icing sugar, and vanilla. I suggest adding 1/4 tsp of vanilla at first, mixing, and then another 1/4 tsp until the desired consistency forms. Mix using an electric mixer on high until a thick, rollable frosting forms. If it is to thin, add more sugar.2 tbsp unsalted butter, 3/4 cup powdered sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Roll the frosting into 12 even balls. Place onto a plate and into the freezer while the cookie dough is being made.
Make the cookie dough
- In a large bowl, whisk together the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until well combined.3/4 cups butter, 1/3 cup white sugar, 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- Add in the egg and vanilla and continue whisking.1 egg, 1 tbsp vanilla
- Toss in flour, baking soda, and salt. Using a spatula, fold until a soft dough forms. Add in sprinkles and mix in.2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour, 1/4 tsp salt, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/2 cup sprinkles
- Using a 2 or 3oz cookie scoop, scoop the cookie dough. Take a frozen frosting ball and push it into the center of the cookie. Cover the entire frosting, making sure none of it peaks through. Place 6 on each baking tray.
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are a light golden brown. The centre will look soft, that is ok.
- Allow the cookies to sit on the baking tray for 10 minutes before moving them onto a cooling rack to cool completely.