These chocolate caramel cookies are chewy cookies with a caramel chocolate pumpkin on top. They are soft cookies with crisp edges and are full of ooey gooey chocolate chips. No chilling required! If you are a fan of caramel, these are the perfect spooky recipe for you!
These are the cutest Halloween treat! They are chocolate chip cookies with a caramel filled chocolate pumpkin on top.
This recipe makes 6 cookies in total. I used my Small Batch Chocolate Chip Cookies base for these cookies! Feel free to double the recipe by clicking the ‘2x’ in the recipe card!
Enjoy these sweet pumpkin chocolate caramel cookies this spooky season!
Why this recipe works
- Chocolate and caramel – This is such a delicious combination!
- Halloween treat – The perfect cookie to make with kids for spooky season!
- Gooey centres – The inside of the cookies are super gooey, especially with the caramel.
- Chewy texture – The cookies are very chewy and have crisp edges.
- Easy to make – The cookies require one bowl and no chill time.
- Butter – I always use unsalted for baking. Make sure it is melted and cooled. If it is too warm, the cookies will spread too much in the oven.
- Brown sugar – I used light brown sugar. Dark brown sugar works as well.
- Chocolate Caramels – I found mine at my local Bulk Barn store. If you have a preferred caramel chocolate like Ghirardelli you can substitute that.
- Chocolate chips – Use a high quality chocolate chip brand for best results. I used semi-sweet chocolate chips! You can use dark or milk as well.
- Egg – An egg yolk is used for richness.
- Salt – These cookies are balanced with salt and have extra sea salt sprinkled on top after baking for both looks and flavour.
Step by step instructions
Step 1 – Mix butter and sugars. Whisk the cooled melted butter, white sugar, and brown sugar in a large bowl. Then whisk in vanilla and egg yolk.
Step 2 – Add in dry ingredients. Fold in flour, baking soda, and salt.
Step 3 – Add in chocolate chips. Next, add in the chocolate chips. Use a rubber spatula to fold them in.
Step 4 – Scoop the dough. I used a large cookie scoop. Scoop 6 cookie dough balls onto a prepared baking tray.
Step 5 – Bake the cookies. Bake the cookies for 13-16 minutes. Mine took 16 minutes exactly.
Step 6 – Add chocolate caramels. Immediately after removing the cookies from the oven, place a chocolate caramel pumpkin on top of each cookie. Gently press them on. Let the cookies sit on the hot tray for 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack to set.
My favourite way to eat this cookie is warm! When you bite into the center you’re met with a gooey caramel that is so dang good.
Expert Baking Tips
- Use a gram scale for the most accurate measurements. To convert this recipe, click the ‘metric’ button next to the ingredients title on the recipe card.
- Make sure the butter is not hot when mixing. If it is hot, the dough will be to soft and the cookies will spread to much in the oven.
- If the dough is to soft to form cookie dough balls with, chill for 30 minutes.
- To elevate this recipe, brown the butter.
Can I make these into smaller cookies?
Yes! They won’t be as chewy though. Making larger cookies helps create that super gooey centre and crisp edge. If you make them smaller, bake for 9-11 minutes.
Can I use any caramels?
Yes. Just make sure you add them immediately on top after the cookies are done baking. You can also leave them out just to have a simple chocolate chip cookie.
Can I freeze these cookie balls?
Yes you can make them ahead of time! Freeze in an airtight container if planning on not baking them the same day. When you’re ready to bake, place them in the oven for 15-18 minutes. Be aware though that baking cookies from frozen dough balls will not allow them to spread as much.
Check out these recipes
- Butterscotch Oatmeal Cookies
- Peppermint Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Kinder Cookies
Chocolate Caramel Cookies
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt the butter and let cool for 15 minutes while you prep the rest of your ingredients.1/2 cup butter
- In a large bowl, whisk melted butter, brown sugar, and sugar. Add in vanilla and egg. Whisk until smooth.2/3 cups light brown sugar, 2 tbsp white sugar, 2 egg yolks, 1 tbsp vanilla
- Add in flour, baking soda, and salt. Use a rubber spatula and fold the dough until just combined. Do not over mix! Add in semi-sweet chocolate chips and fold into dough.1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Scoop 6 cookie dough balls using an ice cream scooper and place on the prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 13-16 minutes. Mine took 16 minutes. The cookies will be ready when the edges are a golden brown, but the inside will look very soft. Remove from oven and gently press a chocolate caramel immediately in the center of each cookie. Let the cookies cool on the hot pan for a few minutes before serving warm or cool completely and enjoy!6 chocolate caramels