Banana brownies are fudgy and incredibly moist brownies. They are full of chocolate goodness and banana flavour. This is the best recipe to make when you have leftover bananas.
These thick brownies are a combination of banana bread and fudgy brownies.
The texture is a little different than regular brownies due to the bananas added – but the flavour and softness that the bananas brings truly makes these brownies so good!
If you’re looking to use up some leftover bananas you’ve got laying around but you don’t want to make banana bread for the millionth time, this is the recipe for you.
For more brownie recipes, try Condensed Milk Brownies, Fudgy Oreo Brownies, and Black Forest Cheesecake Brownies.
Why this recipe works
Fudgy brownies – These brownies
Ripe bananas – Use up any leftover bananas you have laying around!
Twist on banana bread – These brownies have a hint of banana flavour and are a great twist on the classic banana bread!
Easy – One bowl, no mixer required!
Scroll to view a few ingredients notes. Full recipe and measurements can be found in the recipe card below.
Butter – Unsalted butter works best. This will be melted.
Bananas – Ripe bananas provide a hint of banana flavour and great moisture.
Dark cocoa powder – Using a dark cocoa powder brings that contrast and strong chocolate flavour. You can also use unsweetened cocoa powder.
Eggs – Remove 2 hours before baking.
White Sugar – Adds a texture and helps to bring some sweetness.
Step by Step Instructions
Here is how to make and bake these banana brownies. You’ll need an 8×8 pan, a bowl, a whisk, and a spatula.
Step 1 – Prep the pan. Line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
Step 2 – Whisk wet ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk the melted butter with white sugar. Add in banana, and whisk, Then add in the eggs and vanilla and continue whisking. There will be some clumps of banana, this is normal.
Step 3 – Whisk dry ingredients. Add flour, dark cocoa powder, salt into the bowl. Fold until a soft batter forms and no dry streaks appear.
Step 4 – Add in chocolate chips. Mix in the chocolate chips.
Step 5 – Pour and bake. Spread the brownies into your prepared pan and spread evenly. The batter will have lumps due to the banana, this is normal. Bake until a toothpick comes out with a few damp crumbs.
Expert Baking Tips
Here are a few baking tips from my kitchen to yours
- If the cocoa powder is lumpy, sift it beforehand.
- Wait until brownies are almost completely cooled before slicing. I waited 2 hours. As the brownies cool, they continue to bake and won’t fall apart.
- Store the banana brownies in the fridge at all times.
- Freeze the brownies for up to 3 months in an airtight container or individually wrapped. Thaw in the fridge before consuming.
Can I use regular unsweetened cocoa powder?
Absolutely! I just like the contrast and dark chocolate flavour the dark cocoa gives.
Can I double the recipe?
Yes, use a 9×13 pan. The baking time will be shorter, begin checking in on them after 28 minutes.
Check out these recipes
- Carrot Cake Cheesecake Bars
- Strawberry Chocolate Chunk Brownies
- Mini Egg No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Bars
- Coffee Chocolate Chip Blondies
PS : Make sure to leave a STAR REVIEW if you enjoyed this recipe! Let’s stay connected on Instagram @sweettreatsyt. To get more recipes follow me on TikTok @sweettreatsyt!
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup mashed bananas
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together melted butter and white sugar.1/2 cup butter, 1 cup white sugar
- Add in mashed bananas and continue whisking.1/2 cup mashed bananas
- Add in egg and vanilla and continue whisking.1 egg, 1 tbsp vanilla
- Toss in the cocoa powder, flour, and salt. Switch over to a whisk and gently fold until a soft batter forms. Don't overmix!1/2 cup + 2 tbsp all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup dark cocoa powder, 1/4 tsp salt
- Mix in chocolate chips.1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Transfer into prepared pan and spread out evenly.
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out with a few damp crumbs. Allow to cool before slicing.
What is the bake temperature?
Has anyone tried oat flour? Or almond flour?
I personally have not. If you do please let me know if it works!