Introducing the easiest cookie recipe ever! 5 ingredient chocolate chip cookies are soft cookies with crisp edges. There are pockets of sweet chocolate in every bite too. They are so simple to make it’s dangerous!
Here’s to another easy recipe! After making my 5 Ingredient Chocolate Oatmeal Bars, I knew I’d have to make 5 ingredient cookies soon after.
This recipe comes together in one bowl, in 10 minutes. The cookies have soft centers and a slight crisp edge.
These cookies are a great recipe to bake if you’re craving cookies, or are a beginner to baking!
For more 5 ingredient recipes, try 5 Ingredient Peanut Butter Chocolate Cookies, Best-Ever 5 Ingredient Fudgy Brownies, and 5 Ingredient Chocolate Oatmeal Bars.
Why this recipe works
Easy to make – Only one bowl needed, with no electric mixer!
Minimal ingredients – Only 5 simple ingredients!
No leavening agents – No baking soda or powder required.
Here are the five ingredients we’ll be using in this recipe
Brown sugar – Adds sweetness. The molasses in the brown sugar also adds chewiness into the cookie.
Butter – You can use salted or unsalted. Remove two hours prior to baking. If you need it to be softened quickly, check out the expert baking tips header for a softening tip! Butter adds richness into the cookies, and the water contents in the butter evaporate in the oven while baking, which helps give these cookies a slight rise.
Chocolate chips – I used Hershey’s semi-sweet chocolate chips, but any flavour works. Use a high-quality chocolate for best baking results.
Egg – Helps bind all the ingredients together.
Flour – All-purpose flour is used in this recipe. Flour creates your cookie dough. You may also use self-rising (creates a cakier cookie), or bread flour (creates a chewier cookie).
Step by step instructions
Here is how to make and bake these 5 ingredient chocolate chip cookies. You will need one tray lined with parchment paper, a large mixing bowl, a spatula, a whisk, and a standard ice cream scoop.
Step 1 – Cream the butter and sugar. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar. You can use an electric mixer, or do this by hand.
Step 2 – Add in egg. Whisk in the egg until well combined. Optional: Add in vanilla extract!
Step 3 – Add in flour and chocolate chips. Toss in the flour and fold in until almost completely combined. Then, add in chocolate chips and mix.
Step 4 – Roll and bake. Divide the cookies evenly, roll, and place onto your baking sheet. This recipe made 6 cookies for me. Bake for 9-10 minutes or until the edges are a light golden colour.
While still warm, sprinkle the tops of the cookies with flaky sea salt and extra chocolate if desired. Let the cookies cool on a wire cooling rack and enjoy.
Expert Baking Tips
Here are a few baking tips from my kitchen to yours
- Use a gram scale for the most accurate measurements. To convert this recipe, click the ‘metric’ button next to the ingredients title on the recipe card.
- Use good quality chocolate. This will make a huge difference in your cookies.
- If you decide to use melted butter and the dough is very soft, chill the dough for an hour in the fridge.
- To speed up the process of softening butter, place a small glass dish with a bit of water in your microwave and let it go for about a minute or until the water is steaming. Then, open your microwave door and quickly place the cold butter next to the dish. Close the door, and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes. Do not turn it on again. This will create a ‘steam room’ for your butter! You’ll be left with perfectly softened butter in under 10 minutes. If you’re using butter wrapped in foil, take it out and place it on a microwave safe dish or paper.
Can I use melted butter?
I have tried using melted butter in this recipe, and while it does work, it creates a thinner cookie. So it’s up to you!
Can I substitute the white sugar for brown?
No. The brown sugar carries molasses which helps bind the cookie and creates structure that you don’t get out of using white sugar.
My cookies are dry?
You most likely over measured your flour. Use a gram scale for the best measurements!
My cookies didn’t spread?
All ovens are different, so if this happens to you, simply press the cookies down with the bottom of a cup or mug.
Check out these recipes
- 5 ingredient Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Single Serve Triple Chocolate Cookie
- Nutella Crumble Bars
- Fluffernutter Bars
PS : If you enjoyed this recipe, please make sure to leave a STAR REVIEW down below! I’d love to stay connected on Instagram @sweettreatsyt! To get more recipes follow me on TikTok @sweettreatsyt!
5 Ingredient Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 3/4 cups brown sugar
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C and line one baking tray with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar until well combined and light and fluffy. This will take about 2-3 minutes. You may use an electric mixer to make this step easier.1/2 cup butter, 3/4 cups brown sugar
- Add in the egg and continue whisking. If you'd like, you can add in 2 tsps of vanilla for extra flavour.1 egg
- Add in the flour and gently fold until almost completely combined. Don't over-mix!1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Toss in the chocolate chips and fold a few more times until incorporated well.1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Scoop the cookies onto your prepared baking tray, about 2-3 inches apart from one another. This recipe makes 6-8 cookies, depending on the size you create.
- Bake the cookies for 9-10 minutes or until the edges have a slight golden brown colour. If your cookies don't spread, gently press down with the bottom of a cup or mug and continue baking until they're ready.
- Cool the cookies and enjoy!
- Store these cookies on your counter in an airtight bag for up to 5 days.
Hi Ania. Can we bake this as cookie pie too?
Hi Ronica! I haven’t tried this, but I don’t see why not! Depending on the size of your cookie pie, you may have to double the recipe though. Also, I think the bake time will be different, so just keep a close eye on it after 10 minutes 🙂 Let me know how it goes!
Sure thanks a lot!!