These salted caramel pretzel brownies are extra fudgy brownies that are loaded with crunchy pretzels and salted caramel! There is an entire layer caramel in the centre of these the brownies, making them extra gooey. Bring these to your holiday dinner and they’ll be gone before your eyes!
These sweet and salty pretzel brownies of your dreams melt in your mouth and you’re going to want to make them all-year round.
They are thick, chewy, and super fudgy. There are two types of chocolate used. The brownie batter, caramel, and crunch that the pretzels bring really make this a next level dessert.
Why this recipe works
Easy to make: This recipe comes together in one bowl and all of the ingredients are most likely in your pantry already.
Salted caramel & crunchy pretzels: There is an entire layer of this inside the brownies!
Extra gooey: Thanks to the caramel!
Perfect party treat: Bring this to any occasion!
Full recipe and ingredients are in the recipe card below. Feel free to scroll through this section to view certain key ingredients we’re using!
Butter – Unsalted. This will be melted.
Brown sugar – I used dark brown sugar but light brown sugar works as well!
Caramel – This is the caramel I used and I highly recommend it! If you’re feeling extra full of energy you can make your own as well.
Unsweetened cocoa powder – Unsweetened cocoa powder balances the sweetness from sugars well.
Pretzels – I used mini pretzels because they are much easier to cut through once the brownies are baked.
Step by step instructions
Here is how to make and bake these salted caramel pretzel brownies. You will need a bowl, a spatula, a whisk, and an 8×8 pan.
Step 1 – Prep. Grease the pan. For easy removal of the brownies, place parchment paper on the bottom and 2 sides of the pan. Grease again and then set side.
Step 2 – Melt the butter and chocolate chips. In a medium sized bowl, melt butter and chocolate chips until combined and smooth.
Step 3 – Whisk wet ingredients. Mix together eggs, egg yolk, vanilla, and sugars until light and fluffy. Add in butter/chocolate mixture until smooth.
Step 4 – Add in dry ingredients. Fold in cocoa, flour, and salt. The brownie batter will be thick!
Step 5 – Layer. Add half the batter into the bottom of your prepared pan. Top off with mini pretzels. Dollop caramel. Add the rest of the brownie batter. Top off with more pretzels and caramel. Swirl the caramel in!
Step 6 – Bake. The brownies bake for 30-32 minutes. You’ll know it’s ready when a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out covered in clear caramel and a few moist chocolate crumbs. If the batter comes out wet, allow to bake for a few more minutes.
Step 7 – Allow to cool completely before slicing.
Expert baking tips
Here are a few baking tips from my kitchen to yours!
- Use a grams scale. This will help you get the most accurate flour measurements.
- Use a serrated knife. When slicing, use a serrated knife. It’ll help you get clean cuts when cutting through the pretzels.
- Wait to completely cool. Honestly the hardest step in my opinion! If sliced warm, be aware it’ll fall apart. With that being said, my favourite way to eat them is warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Can I double the recipe?
Yes! Use a 9×13 pan.
Can I use a glass pan?
Yes. But decrease your heat to 325°F/163°C.
My brownies are tough?
This means you’ve over-baked them. The brownies are ready when a toothpick inserted comes out with clear caramel and a few moist crumbs.
Can I use regular sized pretzels?
Yes! Just use less than the 1 cup I recommend.
I can’t get my batter to spread well in the pan?
I know this batter is thick. Dollop the brownie batter around your pan before spreading it. This should help. I also used my fingers to get to the very edge of the pans. 😉
Storing & Freezing
Store the brownies at room temperature in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
Once baked and cooled, freeze the brownies by individually wrapping them and placing them into an airtight container or bag. The brownies can be frozen for up to 14 days.
Check out these recipes
Salted Caramel Pretzel Brownies
- Prep an 8×8 pan. For easy removal of the brownies, place parchment paper on the bottom and 2 sides of the pan. Grease the sides and then set side. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Melt the butter and chocolate together in a microwave or on the stove using the double boiler method until smooth and combined. Set aside.1/2 cup butter, 3/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg, egg yolk, vanilla, and brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 1 minute.2 eggs, 1 egg yolk, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1 tbsp vanilla, 1/4 cup white sugar
- Pour the butter/chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Fold in the flour, cocoa powder, and salt until just combined.2/3 cups all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp cocoa powder, 1/2 tsp salt
- Pour half the batter into the prepared pan and spread it into an even layer.
- Press 1/2 cup of the pretzels in an even layer on top of the batter.1 cup mini pretzels
- Drizzle dollops of the caramel on top of the pretzels. Make sure to save a few tablespoons for the next layer.1/2 cup caramel syrup
- Pour the rest of the brownie batter on top and spread evenly.
- Dollop the top with the rest of the caramel and swirl it as best as possible into the batter using a knife or toothpick.
- Press the rest of the pretzels on top. Bake for 30-32 minutes. You'll know it's ready when a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out covered in clear caramel and a few moist chocolate crumbs. If the batter comes out wet, allow to bake for a few more minutes.
- Allow the brownies to cool completely before slicing. As they cool, the caramel and chocolate gooeyness sets. If you slice while they're warm, they'll fall apart.
- Tip: Slice the brownies with a serrated knife. This helps get through the top layer of the pretzels. Enjoy!