These Cinnamon Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies are loaded with pecans, cinnamon, brown butter, and brown sugar! The cookies are soft and chewy with crisp edges. Using brown butter adds a strong gourmet flavour!
This recipe uses chopped pecans and brown butter. Making cookies with brown butter helps deepen the gourmet flavours. The chocolate and sea salt compliments the sweet and nutty tastes perfectly.
This is a perfect fall bake or even for Thanksgiving!
Why this recipe works
Add-ins – This recipe uses pecans and dark chocolate chips. It’s an amazing combination that pairs well with the cinnamon as well.Once the cookies are baked flakey sea salt is placed on top for balance.
Brown butter – You’re already melting the butter, so why not brown it!? It’s a baking game changer as it adds an extra nutty gourmet flavour to the cookies.
Easy to make – No mixer required!
Chewy cookies – These cookies have a few key steps and ingredients that help create the chewiness!
Scroll to view a few ingredients notes. Full recipe and measurements can be found in the recipe card below.
Butter – Unsalted butter works best. This will be melted and browned.
Chocolate chips – I used dark chocolate chips, but semi-sweet works too. Don’t use milk or it’ll be too sweet.
Dark brown sugar – This type of brown sugar carries more molasses than lighter brown sugars, which helps create a chewy dense cookie.
Eggs – Must be room temperature. Remove from refrigerator two hours prior to baking.
Pecans – Chop them up coarsely using a knife.
Step by Step Instructions
Cinnamon Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies require one hour of chill time.
Step 1 – Brown the butter: Heat butter in a saucepan on medium heat, first it will melt then it will foam. Continue stirring for the next 5-8 minutes. The bits on the bottom of the pan will turn golden brown and a nutty aroma will fill the room. Transfer into a glass cup and allow to cool to room temperature.
Step 2 – Whisk the wet ingredients: In a large bowl, whisk together cooled brown butter and brown sugar for 2 minutes. Add in egg and vanilla and continue whisking until smooth.
Step 3 – Add the dry ingredients: Toss in flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Fold in gently using a spatula until just combined.
Step 4 – Mix in add-ins: Add in chopped pecans and dark chocolate chips.
Step 5 – Roll and chill: Roll the cookies into 9 even balls. Place them into the fridge to chill for minimum 1 hour.
Step 6 – Bake the cookies for 10 minutes until the edges are golden brown. They may appear underbaked in the center, but will continue to bake as they cool on the pan. Sprinkle flakey sea salt on top.
Cookies are best eaten fresh! Leave on the counter for 2-3 days. Enjoy!
Expert Baking Tips
- Cool the brown butter back down to room temperature before starting. Don’t let it solidify. Do this first so it can cool while you prep the rest of your ingredients!
- This is a chill cookie recipe. You can’t skip this.
- Do not overbake the cookies! They should be slightly underbaked straight out of the oven, then they will cool they’ll continue to set.
- Measure your ingredients by using a digital scale for the most accurate results.
My cookies aren’t spreading!
This would mean there is to much flour. Shape the cookie into a flatter oval shape before baking.
Can I make this with melted butter and not browned?
Yes, but if you’re already melting the butter you may as well brown it! Brown butter really deepens the flavours and brings a great texture and gourmet touch to the cookies.
Can I use other nuts?
Storing & Freezing
Cookies are best eaten fresh. Store the cookies for 2 days on your countertop.
Freeze the cookie dough balls or baked cookies in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. If baking, thaw for 30 min on your counter before baking. If consuming the cookies, thaw for 1 hour before eating.
Check out these recipes
- Chocolate Espresso Walnut Cookies
- Apple Pumpkin Crumble Cake
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars
- Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies
Cinnamon Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Start with making the brown butter. Heat butter in a saucepan on medium heat, first it will melt then it will foam. Continue stirring for the next 5-8 minutes. You'll know it's ready when the bits on the bottom of the pan become golden brown and a nutty aroma has filled the room. Transfer into a glass cup and allow to cool to room temperature.3/4 cups butter
- In a large bowl, whisk together cooled brown butter and brown sugar for 2 minutes. Add in egg and vanilla and continue whisking until smooth.3/4 cups brown sugar, 1 tbsp vanilla, 1 egg
- Add in flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Fold in gently using a spatula until just combined.2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp cinnamon
- Add in chopped pecans and dark chocolate chips.3/4 cups pecans, 2/3 cups dark chocolate chips
- Roll the cookies into 9 even balls and press down gently to form an oval shape. Place them into the fridge to chill for minimum 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake the cookies 4-5 at a time for 10 minutes. Allow to sit on the baking tray for an additional 5 minutes, then transfer onto a cooling rack to set.
- Cookies are best eaten fresh! Leave on the counter for 2-3 days. Enjoy!