Soft and chewy coconut cookies are buttery cookies filled with shredded coconut! The coconut gives these cookies a nice chew. If you’re a fan of coconut, you need to try these cookies!
Fun fact! I actually used to hate coconut as a kid. Anyone else relate? The texture, the taste, the smell..all of it. I feel like the older I get, the more I love it! Isn’t it funny how our taste can change as we grow up?
These cookies might sound like an ordinary cookie, but they are far from it. They are everything you love in a cookie and thensome. Soft, chewy, buttery..yum!
The softened butter and brown sugar pairs with the coconut extremely well and enhances the flavour!
The shredded coconut also gives them a nice chew! It tastes similar to a sugar cookie, but with sweet hints of coconut throughout.
Why this recipe works
Buttery cookies – Think buttery sugar cookies meets coconut!
Coconut – These cookies have sweetened shredded coconut in them, which gives them a nice chew and hint of coconut flavour!
Easy to make – One bowl, no fancy ingredients required!
Here is a list of some of the key ingredients needed in this recipe. Full recipe and measurements is available in the recipe card below!
Butter – I always use unsalted. This will be softened, so take out two hours prior to baking.
Brown sugar – I used light brown sugar, but dark works as well!
Coconut – I used sweetened shredded coconut, but unsweetened shredded works as well!
Egg – Remove two hours prior to baking.
Vanilla extract – I love using a ton of this in my recipes, it really enhances the coconut flavour in this one specifically!
Step by step instructions
Here is how to make and bake these chewy coconut cookies. You will need a bowl, a whisk, a spatula, an ice cream scoop, and a baking sheet that’s lined with parchment paper.
Step 1 – Cream butter and sugar. In a stand mixer or with a spatula, mix the butter and sugar for 3-4 minutes. Add in egg and vanilla and continue creaming.
Step 2 – Add in dry ingredients. Toss in flour, baking soda, and salt. Fold with a spatula until a soft dough forms.
Step 3 – Add in coconut. Add in the shredded coconut and fold in a few times. Don’t overmix!
Step 4 – Scoop and bake! Evenly divide the cookies into 6-8 cookies, spaced about 2-3 inches apart on the baking sheet. Bake 6 cookies at a time.
Step 5 – Bake! Bake the cookies for 9-13 minutes or until the edges are a light golden brown.
Allow the cookies to cool, and enjoy!
Expert Baking Tips
Here are a few expert baking tips from my kitchen to yours
- Use a gram scale for the most accurate measurements. To convert this recipe, click the ‘metric’ button next to the ingredients title on the recipe card.
- Use an electric handheld mixer or stand mixer. This will save you a ton of time!
- Add 1/2 cup of chocolate chips for a chocolate chip coconut cookie!
- These cookies are extremely soft coming out of the oven. Wait at least 5-10 minutes before moving them over to a cooling rack.
Can I use unsweetened coconut?
Yes! Sweetened or unsweetened works. The reason why I suggest sweetened is because it has a stronger coconut flavour, but I’ve baked these cookies with unsweetened and I can confidently say they both work!
Are these cookies super coconut-y?
For me they are! I think it’s because I used dark brown sugar and sweetened coconut, which helps enhance the flavour. They also taste buttery!
Can I substitute the all-purpose flour for coconut flour?
No! This will not work!
Check out these recipes
- Cinnamon Apple Oatmeal Cookies
- Chocolate Espresso Walnut Cookies
- Monster Cookies
- Brown Butter Toffee Walnut Cookies
Chewy Coconut Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350℉/180℃ and line a baking tray with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the softened butter and brown sugar on medium speed. I suggest using an electric mixer, but if you don't have one, a spatula works just fine. Cream for 3-4 minutes.1/2 cup butter, 3/4 cups dark brown sugar
- Add in the egg and vanilla and continue creaming.1 egg, 2 tbsp vanilla
- Toss in the flour, baking soda, and salt. With a spatula, fold until little to no dry streaks appear. The dough will be super soft. Then, toss in the shredded coconut and fold in a few more times.1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt, 3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Use a large cookie scoop to scoop 6 even cookie dough balls onto the lined baking sheet. Bake for 9-13 minutes, or until the edges are a light golden brown colour.
- The cookies will look really soft when you take them out of the oven! Allow for them to sit on the baking sheet for an additional 5-10 minutes before transferring them onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Enjoy! Store the cookies for 3 days on your counter, or 7 days in the fridge in an airtight container.