These Cherry Pie Bars taste just like a cherry pie without the hassle! They are soft, chewy, and exploding in flavour! It uses cherry pie filling which makes the process much easier to put together. It is the perfect spring or summertime treat!
These cherry pie bars are one of those treats you’ll be making over and over again during the season. It’s so addicting!
The best part about this recipe is that it uses pie filling. It seriously doesn’t get any easier than this. Adding extra dough on top and drizzling a sweet glaze gives it that bakery-style look that is sure to impress any crowd!
This blog generates income via ads at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Why this recipe works
- Cherry pie – This tastes just like a cherry pie but in bar form!
- Cherry pie filling – Cherry pie filling is used for a much simpler recipe.
- Easy to make – Since this isn’t an actual pie, it is really easy to put together.
- Large gatherings – Simply double this recipe and bake in a 9×13 pan for large gatherings!
- Flexible filling – You can use any pie filling for this recipe! (apple, peach, etc).
Full recipe and ingredients are in the recipe card below. Feel free to scroll through this section to view certain key ingredients we’re using!
Butter: Use unsalted butter for best results. Remove from the fridge 2 hours before baking or the night before.
Cherry Pie Filling: I used a 520ml/18oz cherry pie filling can.
Egg: Remove from the fridge 2 hours before baking or the night before.
Extract: Either almond or vanilla extract may be used. Almond extract really enhances the cherry flavour. Vanilla is a classic that can be added as well.
Step by Step Instructions
Here is a more detailed step-by-step than the recipe card. Scroll down for a full recipe video and measurements.
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C and line and grease an 8×8 inch square pan.
Step 2: Cream together butter and white sugar on high for 2-3 minutes.
Step 3: Add in eggs and extract and continue mixing until smooth.
Step 4: Mix in the flour until a soft dough forms.
Step 5: Transfer 3/4 of the dough into the pan and press down evenly using your hands. Make sure it goes all the way to the edges, and there are no holes showing.
Step 6: Add the cherry pie filling onto the dough and spread out evenly.
Step 7: Drop dollops of the remaining 1/4 of the dough on top and press down.
Step 8: Bake for 25-30 minutes. You’ll know it’s ready when it’s a golden brown colour. Allow to cool completely in the pan.
Step 9: Make the glaze once it’s cooled by stirring together powdered sugar, milk, and extract until smooth. Drizzle on the cooled cherry pie bars, set, slice, and enjoy!
Expert Baking Tips
Here are five awesome baking tips from my kitchen to yours
Immediately after baking leave the cherry pie bars in the pan to completely cool. The glaze won’t set if it’s warm!
Both line and grease the pan. Foil or parchment paper works.
Room temperature ingredients are key. The butter and eggs must be taken out 2 hours before baking, or the night before. If you forget to take out the eggs, place into a bowl of warm water for a few minutes to get it quickly to room temperature.
Make the glaze later once the bars have cooled off. Don’t make it before or else it will harden in the bowl.
Measure ingredients carefully. To ensure precise results, use a scale. This is most handy for flour. Always make sure to measure the flour out with a spoon. Scooping the flour straight into the bag with a measuring cup will pack the flour down way to much.
Check out these other recipes
- White Chocolate Toffee Cookies
- White Chocolate Reese’s Pieces Peanut Butter Cookies
- White Chocolate Cranberry Fudge
- Valentine’s Day Monster Cookie Bars
PS : Make sure to leave a STAR REVIEW if you enjoyed this recipe! Let’s stay connected on Instagram @sweettreatsyt. To get more recipes follow me on TikTok @sweettreatsyt!
Cherry Pie Bars
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 3/4 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp almond or vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 can cherry pie filling 540ml/18oz
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp milk adjustable based on consistency preference
- 1/2 tsp almond or vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line and lightly grease and 8×8 inch square pan.
- In a stand mixer or a handheld mixer cream together the butter and sugar on high for 2-3 minutes.1/2 cup butter, 3/4 cups white sugar
- Add in the egg and vanilla and mix until smooth.2 eggs, 1 tbsp almond or vanilla extract
- Turn the mixer on low and add in the flour until a soft dough forms.1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Transfer 3/4 of the dough into the pan and press it down into the pan evenly and firmly.
- Add an even layer of cherry pie filling.1 can cherry pie filling
- Add tablespoon dollops on top with the remaining 1/4 of the dough base.
- Place into the oven for 25-30 minutes. The top will be a light colour, but the base will be a golden brown on the edges. This is how you'll know it's done.
- Allow to cool completely before glazing.
- To create the glaze, mix together the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla.1 cup powdered sugar, 2 tbsp milk
- Drizzle on top of cooled bars, slice, and enjoy!
These tasted so good! Thanks for the recipe!
My pleasure! I’m glad you enjoyed them Gemma!
Just tried the recipe and followed your exact instructions. It turned out so delicious! Next time I’m going to replace the cherry filling with apple to switch it up. Thanks again 😀
My pleasure 🙂 I’m glad you liked it Beatrice! The apple filling sounds delicious – enjoy!