These Brown Butter Pecan Chocolate Cookie Bars are loaded with toasted pecans, chopped dark chocolate, oats, and more! The bars have a hint of toffee flavour thanks to the brown butter, and a dash of flakey sea salt on top to balance the flavours out. This is the ultimate one pan cookie bar you’ll make again and again all year round.
Purchasing the items in this post supports my blog at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Why you’ll LOVE this recipe
- No chill time required.
- Ready to eat in 30 minutes!
- The bars taste like the inside of a cookie!
- Brown butter adds a nutty, toffee rich aroma and taste.
- Delicious toasted pecan flavour mixed with dark chocolate.
- Only one bowl, no mixer needed.
- Simple ingredients you can find in your pantry.
- Overall just ooey gooey goodness!
Steps to Creating Brown Butter
Step 1: In a pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Continue to whisk it as it melts.
Step 2: Once butter has melted completely, the butter will begin to foam and sizzle, then fall back. Allow it to do this while still slowly whisking every couple seconds.
Step 3: Watch closely for the next several minutes, as the butter on the bottom will start turning a light brown colour. Keep whisking for the next 3-6 minutes (depending on how much butter you use, it can take longer)
Step 4: Once the foam subsides, you’ll notice two things: first, you can see the butter has turned a golden brown, and second, the butter has a bold, nutty aroma smell. Remove from heat and pour the butter into a heat-proof bowl to stop the cooking.
Note: You can easily burn the butter by leaving it in the bottom of the pan while you prep the rest of your ingredients, so this is why I mention transferring the butter in the last step.
How to Store Brown Butter Pecan Chocolate Cookie Bars?
If you don’t end up inhaling all the bars in one sitting as soon as they’re removed from the oven (a rare occurrence), allow the bars to completely cool and then store in an air-tight container on the counter for up to three days. They can also be placed in the freezer and defrosted by being placed in the microwave or toaster oven on low. I highly recommend serving with vanilla ice cream with any option!
Other Recipes To Try
- Peach Crumb Baked Donuts
- Single Serve Triple Chocolate Cookie
- Double Chocolate Condensed Milk Cookies
Brown Butter Pecan Chocolate Cookie Bars
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 8×8 inch square pan with parchment paper or foil and grease lightly with cooking spray or oil.
- To brown the butter, melt completely on medium high, stirring occasionally. Once completely melted, continue stirring more frequently. Do not leave the oven at this moment, as the butter can go from brown to burnt in a matter of seconds. You will begin to see the butter turn darker, and foam slightly. It may also sizzle (3-5 minutes total). Once it stops sizzling, the butter is ready. You'll also note it's ready if it gives off a nutty/toffee aroma. Golden brown bits will begin to collect at the bottom of your pan.
- Allow to slightly cool and then transfer into a bowl and whisk in brown sugar.
- Add egg and vanilla, continue whisking.
- Toss in flour, baking soda, and cinnamon. Fold lightly with a spatula until a soft dough forms.
- Add in pecans and chopped dark chocolate.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Do not over bake or the bars will be dry. Let cool in the pan for about 10 minutes to set, then serve warm.